Static Equilibrium Problem Dealing with Torque

In summary, the problem involves a crane with a horizontal bar of 90.00 kg and length 5.200 m, supported by two vertical strings. String A is attached to the top plate at a distance of 1.600 m from the left end of the bar, and string B is attached to the floor at the left end. An object of mass 3000 kg is supported by the crane at a distance of 5.000 kg from the left end of the bar. The problem requires finding the tension in string A using the equation Tension A(1.6000m) - (90.00 kg)(9.807 m/s^2) 1/2(5.200 m) - (
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

The figure shows a model of a crane that may be mounted on a truck. A rigid uniform horizontal bar of mass = 90.00 kg and length = 5.200 m is supported by two vertical massless strings. String A is attached at a distance = 1.600 m from the left end of the bar and is connected to the top plate. String B is attached to the left end of the bar and is connected to the floor. An object of mass = 3000 kg is supported by the crane at a distance = 5.000 kg from the left end of the bar.

Throughout this problem, positive torque is counterclockwise and use 9.807 m/s^2 for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

Find the tension in string A.

Homework Equations

This problem let's you use hints and it suggested I use the following equation with having the Tension in String "B" as the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tension A(1.6000m) - (90.00 kg)(9.807 m/s^2) 1/2(5.200 m) - (3000 kg)(9.807 m/s^2)(5.000 m) = 0

I don't understand the "1/2" part in front of the length mass one. Is that because of where it is placed or its moment of inertia?

Attachments

• BarSuspended.jpg
    BarSuspended.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the weight of the 90 kg beam is uniformly distributed over its length, where does its resultant load act?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by resultant load.

PeachBanana said:
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by resultant load.
If a uniform beam that is 2 m long has a mass of 0.5 kg/m, its total mass is 1 kg and it's resultant or total weight is 9.8 N. It can be represented as a single force of 9.8 N acting at its center of gravity.

The "1/2" in front of the length and mass in the equation is due to the fact that the torque equation for a point mass rotating about a fixed axis is given by τ = rFsinθ, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point mass, F is the force acting on the point mass, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm (r). In this problem, since the bar is a rigid uniform object, we can consider it as a collection of point masses, each with a different distance from the axis of rotation (the left end of the bar). Therefore, we need to take into account the distribution of mass along the length of the bar by using the moment of inertia, which is given by I = 1/2mr^2. This is why the "1/2" is included in the equation. It represents the distribution of mass along the length of the bar.

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced, resulting in no net force or acceleration.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force acting on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How do you solve a static equilibrium problem dealing with torque?

To solve a static equilibrium problem dealing with torque, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective distances from the point of rotation. Next, calculate the torque for each force and determine the direction of rotation. Finally, set up an equation where the sum of all torques equals zero, and solve for the unknown variables.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest and all forces are balanced, while dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity and all forces are balanced. In dynamic equilibrium, there is no net force acting on the object, but there may be non-zero net torque.

What are some common applications of static equilibrium problems dealing with torque?

Static equilibrium problems dealing with torque are commonly used in the design and analysis of structures, such as bridges and buildings. They are also used in mechanical engineering to determine the stability and balance of machines and mechanisms.