Kinematics, Newton's Laws, Fun With Engineers

In summary, a prank has led an engineer to be stranded on an icy pond with a distance of 29.4 meters to the closest shore. The engineer estimates the ice to be 6.7cm thick and is unable to move due to the slippery surface. They use Newton's third law to throw their boot in order to gain momentum and reach the shore quickly. The direction of the throw should be away from the closest shore, and the magnitude of the force exerted on the engineer by the boot is 416 N. However, the time it takes to reach the shore is not constant as there is a short time interval during the throw. This must be taken into account in the calculation, which explains the discrepancy in the
tri5

Homework Statement

As a prank, your friends have kidnapped you in your sleep, and transported you out onto the ice covering a local pond. Since you're an engineer, the first thing you do when you wake up is drill a small hole in the ice and estimate the ice to be 6.7cm thick and the distance to the closest shore to be 29.4 m. The ice is so slippery (i.e. frictionless) that you cannot seem to get yourself moving. You realize that you can use Newton's third law to your advantage, and choose to throw the heaviest thing you have, one boot, in order to get yourself moving. Take your weight to be 545.0 N. (Lucky for you that, as an engineer, you sleep with your knife in your pocket and your boots on.)

1) (a) What direction should you throw your boot so that you will most quickly reach the shore?
away from the closest shore

2) (b) If you throw your 1.11-kg boot with an average force of 416.0 N, and the throw takes 0.632 s (the time interval over which you apply the force), what is the magnitude of the force that the boot exerts on you? (Assume constant acceleration.)
416 N

3) (c) How long does it take you to reach shore, including the short time in which you were throwing the boot?

Homework Equations

v = v_0 + a t
x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x
\vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with question 3 of this problem. I calculated the acceleration using 416 N and the mass minus the boot. I then use x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
to calculate time. The automated homework system says the answer is wrong.

Attachments

• 2013-02-17_18-47-38_018.jpg
    2013-02-17_18-47-38_018.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 805
Physics news on Phys.org
tri5 said:

Homework Statement

As a prank, your friends have kidnapped you in your sleep, and transported you out onto the ice covering a local pond. Since you're an engineer, the first thing you do when you wake up is drill a small hole in the ice and estimate the ice to be 6.7cm thick and the distance to the closest shore to be 29.4 m. The ice is so slippery (i.e. frictionless) that you cannot seem to get yourself moving. You realize that you can use Newton's third law to your advantage, and choose to throw the heaviest thing you have, one boot, in order to get yourself moving. Take your weight to be 545.0 N. (Lucky for you that, as an engineer, you sleep with your knife in your pocket and your boots on.)

1) (a) What direction should you throw your boot so that you will most quickly reach the shore?
away from the closest shore

2) (b) If you throw your 1.11-kg boot with an average force of 416.0 N, and the throw takes 0.632 s (the time interval over which you apply the force), what is the magnitude of the force that the boot exerts on you? (Assume constant acceleration.)
416 N

3) (c) How long does it take you to reach shore, including the short time in which you were throwing the boot?

Homework Equations

v = v_0 + a t
x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x
\vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with question 3 of this problem. I calculated the acceleration using 416 N and the mass minus the boot. I then use x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
to calculate time. The automated homework system says the answer is wrong.

You are not moving at a constant acceleration the whole distance to shore. The acceleration is only constant while you are throwing the boot. After that your velocity is constant.

Well I tried what you said doing constant velocity but the automated homework system says the answer is still wrong.

Attachments

• 2013-02-18_08-58-30_950.jpg
    2013-02-18_08-58-30_950.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 755
Have you tried using momentum and impulse?

In class we have only covered 1d, 2d kinematics, and Newton's laws. I know momentum is just a restatement of Newtons's 2nd law, but it has not been covered in class yet. The professor insists that this problem can be solved correctly using what was taught in class so far.

tri5 said:
Well I tried what you said doing constant velocity but the automated homework system says the answer is still wrong.
You will cover some distance on the ice between the time that you start the throw and the time you let go of the boot. You did not account for this in your answer.

In other words, you shouldn't be using 29.4 meters the way you did in your work.

tri5 said:

Now you are taking the whole distance traveled at a constant velocity. That's not right either. He travels part of the way while accelerating and part of it at constant velocity. It's not really clear to me that they mean you to subtract the mass of the boot either.

Dick said:
It's not really clear to me that they mean you to subtract the mass of the boot either.
I agree. That "Take your weight to be 545.0 N." is a bit ambiguous. However, the parenthetical remark "(Lucky for you that, as an engineer, you sleep with your knife in your pocket and your boots on)" suggests that that 545.0 Newtons includes the knife and the boots.

Aside: This is a *bad* question. I calculate that the engineer's throwing arm has to be over 90 meters long.

D H said:
I agree. That "Take your weight to be 545.0 N." is a bit ambiguous. However, the parenthetical remark "(Lucky for you that, as an engineer, you sleep with your knife in your pocket and your boots on)" suggests that that 545.0 Newtons includes the knife and the boots.

Aside: This is a *bad* question. I calculate that the engineer's throwing arm has to be over 90 meters long.

Good point. I guess an engineer should be expected to carry an extension throwing arm as well.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, including the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves the use of equations and graphs to describe and analyze the motion of objects.

2. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles developed by Sir Isaac Newton to explain the behavior of objects in motion. They state that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant speed in a straight line unless acted upon by a net force, that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force and inversely proportional to its mass, and that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics focuses on the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics involves the study of both motion and the forces that cause it. In other words, kinematics is concerned with describing and analyzing motion, while dynamics is concerned with explaining the causes of motion.

4. How is kinematics used in engineering?

Kinematics is used in engineering to analyze and design various systems and machines that involve motion, such as vehicles, robots, and machinery. It is also used to predict and improve the performance of these systems, as well as to determine potential issues or limitations in their design.

5. What are some fun experiments or activities that can be done with engineers to learn about kinematics and Newton's Laws?

Some fun activities that can be done with engineers to learn about kinematics and Newton's Laws include building and testing paper airplanes to demonstrate the principles of motion, creating a Rube Goldberg machine to show the transfer of energy, and constructing a roller coaster to explore the concepts of acceleration, velocity, and forces. These hands-on experiments can help to solidify understanding and make learning about kinematics and Newton's Laws more engaging and enjoyable.