neutron source

by Stephan_doc
Tags: neutron, source
Stephan_doc
Feb7-13, 01:00 PM
P: 28
Greetings to all,
I know activity for a Am-Be neutron source. I want to compute strenght source in neutrons/s. Yours advices are welcome. Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Astronuc
Feb9-13, 06:18 AM
Admin
P: 21,634
Quote Quote by Stephan_doc View Post
Greetings to all,
I know activity for a Am-Be neutron source. I want to compute strenght source in neutrons/s. Yours advices are welcome. Thank you!
One could take the α decay rate of Am-241, and with knowledge of the macroscopic cross-section, including reaction efficiency, determine the n source term.

Alternatively, Amersham produces an Am-Be source of ~ 2.2 x 106 n/sec per Ci. This is the approximate value at manufacture, so one has to correct for Am-241 decay. One would have to know the Ci of Am of the original source, or the date of manufacture.
Stephan_doc
Feb28-13, 02:15 PM
P: 28
Thank you for answer, finally i found the solution. For example Po-210/Be neutrons-source has a yield of 70 neutrons/1milion alpha particles.

terryphi
Mar19-13, 10:54 PM
P: 53

neutron source

You need a conversion factor. Look at

Bernard Shlein, L. A. (1998). Handbook of Health Physics and Radiological Health Third Edition. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.

Quote Quote by Stephan_doc View Post
Greetings to all,

Register to reply