Stepping down from an advanced calculator

by mindheavy
Tags: advanced, calculator, stepping
mindheavy
Oct2-13, 10:18 PM
P: 61
This is kind of sad, but I'm beginning to realize how much I rely on my graphing calculator any more for solving equations and whatnot. I am trying to incorporate a much simpler calculator from time to time (CASIO fx-260) and am struggling with some very basic operations.

Say I have the equation [itex]\tau_A=\frac{5kN\cdot.040}{\frac{\pi}{2}\cdot(.04^4)}[/itex] and I want to input this without using parenthesis. What is the order to type this in the calculator with?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Office_Shredder
Oct2-13, 10:32 PM
Mentor
P: 4,499
If you have a calculator that won't track order of operations for you, and I have one that let's you type it out on the screen to confirm it's correct, I would just go with the latter and restrict myself to only using it for basic calculations.

As for your guy, I would start with .04, raise it to the power of 4, multiply by pi, divide by 2, hit the "1/x" key, then multiply by all the stuff in the numerator consecutively. The thing I would be worried about when entering this expression into the calculator is if I try to do divide by, then enter .04, then raise to the 4th power, that it would divide by .04 before raising everything I have so far to the 4th power (some calculators will recognize a Pemdas violation I believe, but some won't).
mindheavy
Oct2-13, 10:42 PM
P: 61
Thanks, following the order you laid out got the correct answer. I hadn't thought of doing the denominator then reciprocating it to multiply by the numerator, but I see it now!

verty
Oct3-13, 01:15 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,373

Stepping down from an advanced calculator

Use those bracket buttons, for example, numerator / ( .... ) =

Oh sorry, you said without using parentheses. Odd :).

Register to reply