Why Is the Total Angular Momentum of a Particle System Constant?

In summary, the conversation discussed a system of n distinct particles with masses and position vectors, and internal forces acting along the line joining the particles. It was mentioned that the total angular momentum of the system about the origin is constant, as shown by the definition of angular momentum and Newton's second law.
ElDavidas
hey everyone, I've been working through a past paper and I'm stuck on a question:

"(a) Consider a system consisting of n distinct particles P1, P2, : : :, Pn, with masses m1, m2, ..., mn and position vectors r1, r2, : : :, rn, relative to the origin O of an inertial frame, respectively.

For each i = 1, 2, : : :, n, suppose that the only forces acting on Pi are internal forces Fij , which always act along the line joining Pi and Pj , for j = 1, 2, : : :, n and j doesn't equal i.

Assume that Fij = ¡Fji for i = 1, 2, : : :, n, j = 1, 2, : : :, n and i doesn't equal j.

Define what is meant by the total angular momentum of the system about O.

Show, as a consequence of Newton's second law, that the total angular momentum of the system about O is constant."

I can define the total angular momentum of the system, it's the 2nd part of the Q I have trouble with. :confused:

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the defintion of angular momentum:

[tex]\vec L = \vec r \times \vec p[/tex]

Take the time derivative and sum over all particles noting that

[tex]\frac {d \vec p}{dt} = \vec F[/tex]

You will find [itex]d\vec L /dt = 0[/itex].

for reaching out! The total angular momentum of the system about O is the sum of the angular momenta of all the particles in the system, taking into account their masses, positions, and velocities. This can be mathematically expressed as:

Q = ∑mi(ri x vi)

where mi is the mass of particle i, ri is its position vector, and vi is its velocity vector.

As for showing that the total angular momentum is constant, we can use Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on a system is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. In this case, we are dealing with angular momentum, which is a vector quantity, so we need to consider the net torque acting on the system.

Since the only forces acting on the particles are internal forces, the net torque on the system will be zero. This is because the internal forces always act along the line joining the particles, so their torque will always be parallel to the position vector, and therefore their cross product will be zero.

Mathematically, this can be expressed as:

∑τ = ∑(ri x Fij) = 0

Using the fact that Fij = -Fji, we can rewrite this as:

∑τ = ∑(ri x (-Fji)) = -∑(ri x Fji) = 0

Therefore, the total torque on the system is zero, and by Newton's second law, the rate of change of the total angular momentum is also zero. This means that the total angular momentum of the system about O remains constant, as desired.

What is total angular momentum Q?

Total angular momentum Q is a physical quantity that measures the overall rotational motion of a system. It takes into account both the angular momentum of individual particles within the system as well as the overall rotational motion of the entire system.

How is total angular momentum Q calculated?

The formula for calculating total angular momentum Q is Q = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. This formula can be applied to both individual particles and the entire system.

What are the units of total angular momentum Q?

The units of total angular momentum Q are kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m²/s) in the SI system. In other systems, such as the CGS system, the units may be different.

What is the significance of total angular momentum Q in physics?

Total angular momentum Q is an important quantity in physics because it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects and systems. It is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

How is total angular momentum Q related to other physical quantities?

Total angular momentum Q is related to other physical quantities such as angular velocity, moment of inertia, and torque. It is also related to the laws of conservation of energy and momentum, as well as the laws of rotational motion.