Cable System Step Function Analysis

In summary: I'll need to find a different equation.In summary, the author is looking to use two different ropes to see if he can produce a wave motion effect. He is using a step function to integrate the weight over a range of lengths. He is looking for help integrating an equation for a smooth function that will give him the same results when the length is changed.
Cyrus
Cable System - Step Function

Hi, I want to do an experiment using two dissimilar ropes in my basement and see if I can produce some results using a rope analysis. Here’s the set up. I want to tie a light rope to a heavy rope, and be able to characterize the curvature the system takes on. I understand the basic equations involved that I must use to come up with a solution; however, they are based on a uniform weight distribution. Since I am tying a light rope to a very heavy rope, I have to use a step function, and I'm thinking of going the Laplace route to integrate. I would appreciate the help you could provide me with. I don't know if it will work or not, but I figure what the hell why not at least try. The laplace will make it very messy, Unfortunately (I think).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first function I know is that: [tex] dy/dx = \frac {1}{F_H} \int w(s)ds [/tex]
Where, w(s), is the weight per unit length.
and I will state that:
[tex] w(s) = \varrho_1 [/tex] for [tex] 0 \leq x \leq \alpha [/tex]
and
[tex] w(s) = \varrho_2 [/tex] for [tex] \alpha \leq x \leq \beta [/tex]

where [tex] \alpha [/tex] is where the two ropes are tied, and [tex] \beta [/tex] is the end of the rope.

Last edited:
"I want to tie a light rope to a heavy rope, and be able to characterize the curvature the system takes on."

Why should there be any "curvature" at all? Just lay the ropes in a line on the floor!

If you are talking about wave motion of the two ropes then please say that.

No, this is not wave motion. Its a composite catenary system. Putting them on the floor would make no sense.

I don't think using laplace transform will do me a bit of good, because I don't have a differential equation I am working with. My integral would just be equivalent to having an expression for the total weight of the rope. I am thinking it would look like this: [tex] \int w(s)ds = w_1s + w_2u_{\alpha}(s) + C_1[/tex] I am just calling u-sub alpha the step function, or if you guys think that's bad notation, I can use < > and make it a singularity function, that turns on after you pass point beta along the rope. I am saying the two dissimilar ropes are tied together at alpha, and the weight of the rope suddenly 'jumps' much heavier (or lighter), after that point.

So now I have to integrate this mess:

[tex] x = \int \frac {ds} { [1+ \frac{1}{F^2_H} ( \int w(s)ds)^2 ]^{ \frac{1}{2}}}[/tex]

Can someone please help me?

Idealy, what I REALLY want is one smooth function of s that I can write that has a built in step to it and gives me the same results, so the second integration is easier. Is that possible?

Last edited:
Catenary

You are (it seems) looking to describe the shape or curve that a flexible rope (cord, chain, telephone wire, whatever) would assume when both ends are suspended and the length of rope between them is acted on by gravity, (viz. catenary, and http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Curves/Catenary.html).

Good stuff.

Yeah, but those links are for a uniform weight distribution, not a step change, like two ropes tied together.

What is Cable System Step Function Analysis?

Cable System Step Function Analysis is a method used in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of a cable system under different loading conditions. It involves breaking down the system into smaller segments and analyzing the forces and displacements at each segment to understand the overall behavior of the system.

Why is Cable System Step Function Analysis important?

Cable System Step Function Analysis is important because it allows engineers to accurately predict the behavior of a cable system under different loading conditions. This information is crucial in designing and maintaining safe and efficient cable systems for various applications, such as bridges, cranes, and suspension structures.

What are the steps involved in Cable System Step Function Analysis?

The first step in Cable System Step Function Analysis is to break down the cable system into smaller segments. Then, the forces and displacements at each segment are calculated using equations and principles of mechanics. Finally, the results from each segment are combined to understand the overall behavior of the system.

What are the assumptions made in Cable System Step Function Analysis?

Some common assumptions made in Cable System Step Function Analysis include: the cable system is in a state of static equilibrium, the cable is massless and flexible, and the support structures are rigid. These assumptions simplify the analysis process but may not be applicable in all real-world scenarios.

What are the limitations of Cable System Step Function Analysis?

Cable System Step Function Analysis is limited by the assumptions made and the complexity of the cable system. It may not accurately predict the behavior of a cable system with non-linear or dynamic loading. Additionally, the accuracy of the analysis depends on the accuracy of the input data and assumptions made.