Compton Scattering of of monochromatic light

In summary, the Compton effect is a phenomenon in which monochromatic light is scattered by free electrons. The wavelength shift, electron momentum, and electron scattering angle can all be calculated based on the scattering angle of the photon.
eep
I'm working out a problem from a text concerning the scattering of monochromatic light by free electrons (Compton effect) which asks me to derive expressions for the wavelength shift, electron momentum, and electron scattering angle in terms of the photon scattering angle assuming that the electron is initially at rest.
I've managed to derive the standard wavelength shift formula no problem, it depends only on the scattering angle of the photon. However, I can't manage to derive anything for the momentum of the electron without it also depending on the initial wavelength of the photon. Is there an expression for the momentum of the electron which ONLY depends on the scattering angle of the photon?
My hunch is no, since if one looks at the following formula:
[tex]\Delta E = h(\nu - \nu^{\prime}) = h(\frac{c}{\lambda} - \frac{c}{\lambda^{\prime}}) = hc(\frac{\lambda^{\prime} - \lambda}{\lambda\lambda^{\prime}})[/tex]
The change in energy (which will lead you to the electron momentum) depends on the product of [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\lambda^{\prime}[/itex]. Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're in way over my head here, but just a suggestion;
Wouldn't the electron's momentum depend entirely on the change in energy of the photon? So the solution for momentum (of the electron) should only depend on the difference between the initial and the final wavelength (of the photon), regardless of what those values are, shouldn't it?

Yes and you can express the change in energy in terms of the scattering angle of the photon so the momentum can be solved with some algebra. It's manipulated to the angle dependent form at scienceworld for example.

inha said:
Yes and you can express the change in energy in terms of the scattering angle of the photon so the momentum can be solved with some algebra. It's manipulated to the angle dependent form at scienceworld for example.
I can't seem to find it at scienceworld. Doesn't the change in energy depend not only on the wavelength shift, but also on the product of the initial and final wavelength? I don't see how to get rid of the [itex]\lambda\lambda^\prime[/itex]...

Basically you'll have to solve the electron momentum squared twice. Once from conservation of momentum and once from conservation of energy and then equate them. The details are long to type out so I'll just refer you to the scienceworld page here: http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/ComptonEffect.html

I think you misunderstood what I was looking for. I was looking for an expression for the electron momentum which does not depend on wavelength. What you gave me was a method of solving for the wavelength shift [itex]\lambda^\prime - \lambda[/itex]. Thank you for your help, anyways though. I came to my own conlclusion that the electron momentum *must* depend on the initial wavelength.

Whoops, sorry about that. You're correct about the energy transfer having to depend on the incoming photon's energy. You can solve for the ratio of incoming and outgoing photon energy though but that won't help you get forward with the assignment.

I think the dependence on the initial wavelenght is something that could be realized from the very begining. The angle of scattering, due to its geometrical nature, is to be understood as an indicator of the proportion (percentage) of the total momentum which will be taken from the electron. The rest of the information lies in the initial momentum itself.

Best Regards

DaTario

1. What is Compton Scattering of monochromatic light?

Compton Scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon of monochromatic light (light of a single wavelength) interacts with a free electron, resulting in a change in the photon's wavelength and direction.

2. How does Compton Scattering occur?

In Compton Scattering, the photon collides with the electron, transferring some of its energy to the electron. The electron then emits a new photon with a longer wavelength and changes direction.

3. What is the significance of Compton Scattering in physics?

Compton Scattering is an important phenomenon in understanding the behavior of light and electrons. It was one of the first pieces of evidence for the wave-particle duality of light, and it also helped to confirm the concept of energy-momentum conservation.

4. Can Compton Scattering occur with light of any wavelength?

No, Compton Scattering only occurs with monochromatic light, meaning light of a single wavelength. This is because the change in wavelength of the scattered photon is directly related to the energy and momentum transfer between the photon and the electron.

5. What are some real-world applications of Compton Scattering?

Compton Scattering has applications in various fields such as medical imaging, materials science, and astronomy. In medical imaging, it is used in computed tomography (CT) scans to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures. In materials science, it can be used to study the atomic structure of materials. And in astronomy, it can help scientists to understand the composition and properties of distant objects in space.