(maybe) simple calculation question

• Thread starter maverick6664
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the first equation holds because the average value of the squared charge radius over a volume is defined as <r^2>.
maverick6664
Now I'm reading a book QM, scattering problen when an electron is scattered by an atomic nucleus, and stuck at a simple formula; [tex]\int_0^\infty \varrho_p(R) R^4 dR = \langle R^2 \rangle,[/tex] where [tex]\varrho_p(R)[/tex] is the charge density at radius = [tex]R[/tex] In this formula, electric charge unit [tex]e[/tex] is omitted.

As a matter of course, [tex]4\pi \int_0^\infty \varrho_p (R) R^2 dR = Z[/tex] holds.

Will anyone tell me why the first equation holds?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The average value of the squared charge radius over a volume is defined as [tex]<r^2>=\int r^2\rho d^3r/\int\rho d^3r=\int r^2\rho d^3r/q.[/tex]
The volume differential is [tex]d^3r=r^2drd\Omega.[/tex] The angular integral gives a factor of [tex]4\pi[/tex], so the result should be
[tex]<r^2>=(4\pi/q)\int_0^\infty r^4\rho dr[/tex]. Your book is probably considering unit charge. The absence of the [tex]4\pi[/tex] factor could be due to an unusual use of rationalized notation. Maybe the wave function is normalized to [tex]1/4\pi[/tex].

I first thought that way, but what annoys me is, in that book, this is written:

[tex]4\pi \int_0^\infty \rho(R)R^2 dR - \frac {2\pi}{3}s^2 \int_0^\infty \rho(R)R^4 dR \equiv Z - \frac{2\pi}{3}s^2 \langle R^2 \rangle[/tex]

So [tex]4\pi[/tex] isn't normalized, and that charge number [tex]Z[/tex] isn't present in the second term...? or is it just a definition?

Last edited:
From what you write, it looks to me like the first term is an effect of the whole atom, while the second term is due to one electron in the atom.
The factor of s^2/6 in the second term must come from the particular spin-orbital state of that electron. Tell me the name of the book, and
I'll look at it when I get a chance.

This appears in a calculation to show electron scattering with small momentum transfer to atomic nuclei will give the mean quadratic radius.
Original formula is

[tex]F(s) = 4\pi/s \int \varrho(R) \sin(sR) R dR[/tex]

and using Taylor expansion

[tex]\sin(sR) \approx sR - (sR)^3/3! \cdots[/tex]

Thank you!

edit:
oops! My bad! After these formulae, I see

[tex]F(s) = 4\pi \langle R \rangle - 2\pi/3 s^2 \langle R^2 \rangle \cdots[/tex]

(I was missing this one line!) So it may be just a typo and this final formula makes sense! This book is "Quantum Mechanics: An introduction" by Greiner, page 320-321. I have found some trivial typos in this book which are easy to spot and correct, but never seen a serious mistake or miscalculation.

Thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between addition and multiplication?

Addition is the combination of two or more numbers to get a total or sum, while multiplication is the repeated addition of a number to itself a certain number of times. For example, 2+2+2+2=8, but 2x4=8 as well.

2. How do you perform long division?

Long division is a method of dividing two numbers by repeatedly subtracting the divisor from the dividend until the remainder is less than the divisor. The answer is the number of times the divisor was subtracted from the dividend. For example, to solve 24 ÷ 3, you would subtract 3 from 24 until you reach 0, which would be 8 times. Therefore, 24 ÷ 3 = 8.

3. What is the order of operations in a calculation?

The order of operations is the sequence in which mathematical operations should be performed in a calculation. The acronym PEMDAS can help remember the order: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

4. How do you convert decimals to fractions?

To convert a decimal to a fraction, first write down the decimal as a fraction with the decimal number as the numerator and 1 as the denominator. Then, multiply both the numerator and denominator by 10 for every digit after the decimal point. Finally, simplify the fraction if possible. For example, to convert 0.75 to a fraction, it would become 75/100. Simplified, this is equal to 3/4.

5. What is the difference between a prime number and a composite number?

A prime number is a number that is only divisible by 1 and itself, while a composite number is a number that has more than two factors. For example, 7 is a prime number because it can only be divided by 1 and 7, while 12 is a composite number because it can be divided by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12.