Cart Propelled by Weighted Balls Down an Incline

In summary, the person is having trouble recreating a scenario where 5 balls are supposed to push a car down a ramp. They have tried different weights and ramp lengths, but nothing seems to work without giving the car a push first. The person is wondering if this is physically possible or if it requires outside forces. They thank others in advance for any help.
Doc37
Okay, I got another problem for you guys that I have been trying to figure out. Here first is the diagram:

Cart.jpg

I have been experimenting with different weights of balls and different weights of cars, also different ramp lengths. 5 balls are supposed to be used. Nothing seems to work at all. I am wondering if it is even physically possible now. The only time I can get it to work is if I propel the car by giving it a push first, but that is not the object of the car. It is supposed to be propelled by the weight of the balls pushing the car as they are rolling down the incline. Once they have rolled off of the ramp, due to the momentum of the car compared to the momentum of the ball the first couple should backwards in the opposite direction of the car, but then as the car goes faster, it should impart a greater momentum on the remaining balls on the cart therefore the later ones after rolling off of the cart will move in actually the same direction as the cart is travelling. What do you guys think is this possible to recreate? Or is it only theoretically possible, or just plain impossible without the help of outside forces? Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
** bump **

I find this problem intriguing and would love to help you figure out a solution. Firstly, it is important to understand the principles of motion and momentum. The key concept here is that objects in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the external force would be the weight of the balls pushing against the car.

Based on your description, it seems like you have already considered the weight of the balls and the weight of the car as important factors in this experiment. However, the length of the ramp may also play a role in the success of the experiment. A longer ramp would allow for the balls to gain more momentum before reaching the car, potentially increasing the force they can exert on the car.

Another factor to consider is the surface of the ramp and the balls. A smoother surface would reduce friction and allow the balls to roll more easily, increasing their speed and momentum.

It is also important to ensure that the balls are rolling in a straight line and are not colliding with each other as they roll down the ramp. This could affect the transfer of momentum to the car.

Overall, I believe that it is possible to recreate this scenario and have the car propelled solely by the weight of the balls. However, it may require careful adjustments of the variables such as ramp length, ball weight, and surface smoothness. I would recommend conducting more trials and making small changes to these variables to see if you can achieve the desired result. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What is a "Cart Propelled by Weighted Balls Down an Incline" experiment?

The "Cart Propelled by Weighted Balls Down an Incline" experiment is a physics experiment that involves a cart with weighted balls attached to it rolling down an inclined plane. The experiment demonstrates the principles of potential and kinetic energy, as well as the effect of gravity on objects in motion.

2. How does the experiment work?

The cart is placed at the top of an inclined plane with the weighted balls hanging over the edge. As the cart rolls down the incline, the balls pull the cart forward due to gravity. The potential energy of the balls is converted into kinetic energy, propelling the cart forward.

3. What variables affect the speed of the cart in this experiment?

The speed of the cart is affected by the mass of the weighted balls, the angle of the incline, the length of the incline, and the surface of the incline. A steeper incline and heavier balls will result in a faster speed, while a longer incline and a rougher surface will slow down the cart.

4. What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment is significant because it demonstrates the principles of potential and kinetic energy and the effect of gravity on objects in motion. It also allows for the manipulation of variables to observe their impact on the speed of the cart, making it a valuable learning tool for students studying physics.

5. How can this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The concepts demonstrated in this experiment are applicable in various real-life situations such as the design of roller coasters, the functioning of elevators, and the movement of objects down ramps or hills. Understanding these principles is crucial in fields such as engineering and architecture.