Stuck on Free-Fall Acceleration problem

In summary, the problem involves a hoodlum throwing a stone vertically downward from the roof of a building. The initial speed is 19.0 m/s and the building is 39.0 m above the ground. The question asks for the time it takes for the stone to reach the ground and the speed of the stone at impact. The three formulas given by the professor to solve motion problems are Vf = Final Velocity, Vi = Initial Velocity, a = acceleration, t = time, d = displacement. The correct formula for this problem is the second one: d = Vi(t) + (a/2)(t^2). However, the equation used had incorrect signs, resulting in a quadratic equation. The correct equation should
frankfjf
I keep trying to get this right but I keep falling short. Here's the problem:

A hoodlum throws a stone vertically downward with an initial speed of 19.0 m/s from the roof of a building, 39.0 m above the ground. (a) How long does it take the stone to reach the ground? (b) What is the speed of the stone at impact?

My professor has given us a number of formulas to use for motion problems and they are as follows:

Vf = Final Velocity, Vi = Initial Velocity, a = acceleration, t = time, d = displacement

First Formula: Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

Second Formula: d = Vi(t) + (a/2)(t^2)

Third Formula: Vf = Vi + at

Which formula could I use to solve this problem? For part a based on what my textbook indicates it'd seem that the second formula will do it, but when I plug in the data that's given I end up with:

39m = 19t - 4.9t^2

But as you can see this doesn't give me a single variable. (Well it does, t, but I end up with a quadratic equation).

Do I just solve the quadratic or am I doing something wrong? And if I'm doing something wrong, am I using the right formula of the 3 or do I need to use a different one? Please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the correct formula, but all the terms should be of the same sign, positive or negative, since the displacement, initial velocity, and acceleration all have the same direction - downward.

Rewriting then...

-39m = -19t - 4.9t^2?

But no matter how I setup the signs I'm stuck with a quadratic. Do I just solve like a quadratic then?

frankfjf said:
I keep trying to get this right but I keep falling short. Here's the problem:
A hoodlum throws a stone vertically downward with an initial speed of 19.0 m/s from the roof of a building, 39.0 m above the ground. (a) How long does it take the stone to reach the ground? (b) What is the speed of the stone at impact?
My professor has given us a number of formulas to use for motion problems and they are as follows:
Vf = Final Velocity, Vi = Initial Velocity, a = acceleration, t = time, d = displacement
First Formula: Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
Second Formula: d = Vi(t) + (a/2)(t^2)
Third Formula: Vf = Vi + at
Which formula could I use to solve this problem? For part a based on what my textbook indicates it'd seem that the second formula will do it, but when I plug in the data that's given I end up with:
39m = 19t - 4.9t^2
But as you can see this doesn't give me a single variable. (Well it does, t, but I end up with a quadratic equation).
Do I just solve the quadratic or am I doing something wrong? And if I'm doing something wrong, am I using the right formula of the 3 or do I need to use a different one? Please help! Thanks!

What is wrong with having a quadratic? Solve for t. You'll get two answers, one positive, one negative. Obviously, it can't be the negative one (since that would be before the stone was thrown). So the positive one is your answer. However, your quadratic has the wrong signs. The correct equation should be:

[tex]
-39=-19t-4.9t^2
[/tex]

This is because d is the distance the stone travels, not its initial height. So if it goes 39m down, it moves -39m. If its velocity is 19 m/s down, that -19m/s. If its acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2 down, that's -9.8 m/s^2.

Ahh thanks. Well as long as a quadratic is fine I'm good to go. Thanks again!

What is the formula for calculating free-fall acceleration?

The formula for calculating free-fall acceleration is a = g, where a represents the acceleration and g represents the gravitational constant, which is typically 9.8 m/s2 on Earth.

What is the difference between free-fall and normal acceleration?

Free-fall acceleration occurs when an object is falling under the influence of gravity, while normal acceleration refers to any change in an object's velocity, whether it is caused by gravity or another force.

How does air resistance affect free-fall acceleration?

Air resistance can reduce the acceleration of an object falling through the air, as it creates an opposing force against the object's motion. This is why objects with larger surface areas, such as feathers or parachutes, experience slower free-fall acceleration compared to objects with smaller surface areas, like a rock.

What factors can affect the value of free-fall acceleration?

The value of free-fall acceleration can be affected by the location on Earth (as the gravitational constant varies slightly depending on latitude and altitude), air resistance, and the mass of the falling object. In a vacuum, all objects will experience the same free-fall acceleration regardless of their mass.

How is free-fall acceleration related to the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is directly proportional to free-fall acceleration. This means that as free-fall acceleration increases, so does the force of gravity acting on an object. This relationship is represented by the formula F = ma, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and a is the free-fall acceleration.