Can IC bulbs be replaced by CF?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ic
In summary, CFLs are more efficient and less expensive to use, and the federal government should criminalize incandescence. An additional $15 billion for enforcement, tacked on to a military appropriations bill, would save billions of dollars over the lifetime of the bulbs.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I was thinking that it would be interesting if the government put a ban or something on IC bulbs for domestic residential uses. It seems like CF bulbs are more efficient and in the end actually more economical (based on $/hours usable before failing). It seems like it would be an easy calculation to determine how much electricity could be saved for the switch-over since you would expect roughly the same # of bulbs to go out each year and be re-purchased.

What are the pitfalls of CF that might not make this possible? Have i asked this before? Should i be president?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Should i be president?
Ok I'll vote for you as long as make me secetruary of education/secerturary defence/secertury of proper gramer use

scott1 said:
Ok I'll vote for you as long as make me secetruary of education/secerturary defence/secertury of proper gramer use

I will not be bought off by special interests

I am going to impeach you!

Interesting leap:

Compact fluorescents are very efficient.

--> The federal government should criminalize incandescence. An additional $15 billion for enforcement, tacked on to a military appropriations bill.

rachmaninoff said:
Interesting leap:

Compact fluorescents are very efficient.

--> The federal government should criminalize incandescence. An additional $15 billion for enforcement, tacked on to a military appropriations bill.

$30 billion if I am elected president! Think of our children's future!

Q: How many web-surfing environmentalists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Pengwuino said:
I will not be bought off by special interests
Ok..but can you put incharge of light bulb inspections?

Pengwuino said:
I was thinking that it would be interesting if the government put a ban or something on IC bulbs for domestic residential uses. It seems like CF bulbs are more efficient and in the end actually more economical (based on $/hours usable before failing). It seems like it would be an easy calculation to determine how much electricity could be saved for the switch-over since you would expect roughly the same # of bulbs to go out each year and be re-purchased.

What are the pitfalls of CF that might not make this possible? Have i asked this before? Should i be president?
Yes, we have had this discussion before, but I'm a big fan of CF lamps...

Right now, their low sales are strictly a matter of economics - people don't realize how much money they lose in the long term by not putting up the extra ~$5 up front for the bulbs. Its a classic business problem that plagues my industry as well. Incentives (or putative legislation) would certainly help and I think it is something that should be done.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls
If every household in the U.S. replaced one light bulb with an ENERGY STAR qualified compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL), it would prevent enough pollution to equal removing one million cars from the road. CFLs provide high-quality light, smart technology, and design, requiring less energy while lasting longer than typical incandescent bulbs.

ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs use 66% less energy than a standard incandescent bulb and last up to 10 times longer. Replacing a 100-watt incandescent with a 32-watt CFL can save you at least $30 in energy costs over the life of the bulb.
Their numbers are much too conservative, though - a good 23 watt, not a 32 watt, CF is equivalent to a 100w incadescent. They also don't include the effect it has on air conditioning in the summer.

More numbers: a $6, 10,000 hour 23w CF will cost about $30 to power over its lifetime (at $.13per kWh).
3.3, $2, 3000 hour (total cost: $6.6) 100w incandescents will cost about $130 to power.

Last edited:

1. Can IC bulbs and CF bulbs be used interchangeably?

No, IC bulbs and CF bulbs are not interchangeable. IC bulbs are designed for use in insulated ceiling fixtures, while CF bulbs are compact fluorescent bulbs designed for use in a variety of fixtures. It is important to use the correct type of bulb for the intended fixture to ensure safety and optimal performance.

2. Are IC bulbs more energy efficient than CF bulbs?

Yes, IC bulbs are typically more energy efficient than CF bulbs. This is because IC bulbs are designed specifically for use in insulated fixtures and are able to withstand higher temperatures, allowing them to use less energy to produce the same amount of light.

3. Can I replace my IC bulbs with LED bulbs instead of CF bulbs?

Yes, you can replace your IC bulbs with LED bulbs. LED bulbs are also energy efficient and can be used in insulated fixtures. However, it is important to check the manufacturer's specifications and recommendations before making the switch to ensure compatibility and safety.

4. Do IC bulbs and CF bulbs have the same lifespan?

No, IC bulbs and CF bulbs do not have the same lifespan. IC bulbs typically have a longer lifespan than CF bulbs, with an average of 10,000-15,000 hours compared to 8,000-10,000 hours for CF bulbs. However, both types of bulbs have a significantly longer lifespan than traditional incandescent bulbs.

5. Can I use a dimmer switch with IC bulbs and CF bulbs?

Yes, both IC bulbs and CF bulbs can be used with a dimmer switch. However, it is important to use a dimmer switch specifically designed for use with the type of bulb being used to avoid potential safety hazards or damage to the bulbs.