Help with frequency response of guitar tone circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic circuit for a Fender Stratocaster guitar and the attempt to find its frequency response. The circuit involves vibrating a metal string in a magnetic field, causing a current to be generated in an inductor. The transfer function and total impedance for the circuit are calculated, but there is confusion about the results and the correctness of the diagram. R2 represents the volume pot and R1 represents the tone pot.
dimensionless
The circuit of interest is the basic circuit for a Fender Stratocaster guitar. A diagram can be found at http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/S_1singlecoil_1vol_1tone.html . Basically an electric guitar works by vibrating a metal string in a magnetic field. This in turn causes a current to be generated in the an inductor that is wrapped around the magnet.

What I'm trying to do is find the frequency response of this circuit. Whenever I try to calculate the transfer function for this circuit I get

[tex]TF = 1[/tex].

When I try to calculate the total impedance for this circuit I get

[tex]Z_{total} = \frac{Z_{1}Z_{2}}{Z_{1}+Z_{2}} = \frac{(R_{1} - j\frac{1}{\omega C})R_{2}}{R_{1}-j \frac{1}{\omega C}+R_{2}}[/tex]

where
[tex]Z_{1} = R_{1} - j \omega C[/tex] and [tex]Z_{2} = R_{2}[/tex].

To find the transfer function I calculate

[tex]TF = \frac{V_{in}}{V_{out}} = 1[/tex].

This is obviously incorrect, but I don't know where my mistake is. Is my diagram correct?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
My post is a litle confusing. I had an ACII diagram, but it did not get rendered the way I wnated it to. R2 is the volume pot, and R1 is the tone pot.

First of all, it's great that you are trying to understand the frequency response of the guitar tone circuit for your Fender Stratocaster. This is an important aspect of understanding the overall sound and tone of your guitar.

Looking at the diagram, it seems like your calculations are correct. The transfer function for this circuit is indeed 1, which means that the output voltage will be the same as the input voltage. This is because there are no capacitors or inductors in the circuit that would cause a phase shift or attenuation of the signal.

However, the frequency response of this circuit is not solely determined by the transfer function. It also depends on the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit. In this case, the values of R1, R2, and C are fixed, so the frequency response will be determined by those values.

To fully understand the frequency response of this circuit, you can plot the impedance as a function of frequency. This will give you a better idea of how the circuit responds to different frequencies. You can also experiment with different values of R1, R2, and C to see how it affects the frequency response.

Overall, your diagram seems correct and your calculations are accurate. The key to understanding the frequency response of this circuit is to consider the values of the components and how they affect the impedance at different frequencies. I hope this helps and happy tinkering with your guitar tone!

1. How does the frequency response of a guitar tone circuit affect the sound of my guitar?

The frequency response of a guitar tone circuit determines which frequencies are emphasized or attenuated in the signal, thus affecting the overall tone of the guitar. A circuit with a wide frequency response will allow for a more diverse range of tones, while a narrow frequency response may result in a more limited sound.

2. What factors influence the frequency response of a guitar tone circuit?

The frequency response of a guitar tone circuit can be influenced by various factors, including the type of components used, the design of the circuit, and the values of the components. The type of pickups and the type of wood used in the guitar can also play a role in the overall frequency response.

3. How can I adjust the frequency response of my guitar tone circuit?

There are several ways to adjust the frequency response of a guitar tone circuit. One way is to change the values of the components, such as resistors and capacitors, in the circuit. Another way is to use an equalizer pedal or tone controls on the guitar to shape the frequency response. Additionally, different types of pickups or effects pedals can also affect the frequency response.

4. Can I use a guitar tone circuit to achieve a specific tone or sound?

Yes, the frequency response of a guitar tone circuit can be adjusted to achieve a specific tone or sound. By altering the values of the components or using different types of components, you can shape the frequency response to emphasize or attenuate certain frequencies, resulting in a desired tone.

5. How does the frequency response of a guitar tone circuit differ from other types of audio circuits?

The frequency response of a guitar tone circuit is typically tailored specifically for the frequency range of a guitar, which is around 80 Hz to 1 kHz. Other audio circuits, such as those used for recording or amplifying vocals or instruments, may have a wider frequency response to capture a broader range of frequencies. Additionally, the components and design of a guitar tone circuit may differ from other audio circuits to achieve its unique tonal characteristics.