Given magnetic field, particle charge, and force (vector) Calculate velocity?

In summary, a particle with charge -5 nC is moving in a uniform magnetic field B = -(1.2 T)k. The magnetic force on the particle is measured to be F = -(3.6*10^(-7) N)i + (7.6*10^-7)j. To calculate the x and y components of the particle's velocity, the equations V_x = (-F_y)/(q*B) and V_y = (-F_x)/(q*B) can be used. However, it is important to use the correct conversion value for the charge (-5 nC) and not confuse it with micro (10^-6). The angle between v and F is 90 degrees, as indicated by v
Goomba
A particle with charge -5 nC is moving in a uniform magnetic field B = -(1.2 T)k. The magnetic force on the particle is measured to be F = -(3.6*10^(-7) N)i + (7.6*10^-7)j. Calculate the x and y components of the particle's velocity.

F = q(V X B)
(force equals charge multiplied by the cross product of V and B)

Calculate the scalar product (dot product) v*F
vx*Fx + vy*Fy + vz*Fz?

What is the angle between v and F (in degrees)?
F = qvB sin theta
theta = arcsin [F/(qvB)]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fz is zero, right? So do you need to worry about Vz, or the angle between V and B? Or do you just need to worry about the component of V that is perpendicular to B? (Which would be in the xy plane only).

I believe that I just need to worry about the component of V that is perpendicular to B (x and y components of V) since force exists in the x and y directions only.

I found equations for each of the x and y components:

V_x = (-F_y)/(q*B)
V_x = -(-7.6E-7)/(-5E-6*-1.20)
V_x = -0.127 m/s

V_y = (-F_x)/(q*B)
V_y = -(-3.6E-7)/(-5E-6*-1.2)
V_y = 0.06 m/s

But those answers aren't right... What am I doing wrong? Are the equations not right? Am I using incorrect values in correct equations? I'm so confused!

Kay, nevermind... :uhh:

Just calculate the cross product q(vxB), assuming a certain variable for each component of the velocity, and equate the result to the force.

Btw, vxF is zero and it doesn't help much.

Thanks. I found out my problem. I'm so used to converting micro 10^-6 that when I came across "nano," I used micro's conversion value. :uhh:

v*F being zero tells you that the angle between them is 90 degrees, so it does actually help

1. How do I calculate the velocity of a charged particle in a given magnetic field?

To calculate the velocity of a charged particle in a given magnetic field, you can use the equation v = F/qB, where v is the velocity, F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, and B is the magnetic field. This equation is derived from the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is equal to the product of the particle's charge, velocity, and magnetic field.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the velocity of a charged particle?

The direction of the magnetic field does not affect the magnitude of the velocity of a charged particle, but it does affect the direction. The particle will experience a force perpendicular to both its velocity and the magnetic field. This force will cause the particle to move in a circular path, with the direction of the force determining the direction of the particle's motion.

3. What is the relationship between the particle's charge and its velocity in a magnetic field?

The velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field is directly proportional to its charge. This means that a particle with a larger charge will have a higher velocity in the same magnetic field compared to a particle with a smaller charge. This relationship is described by the equation v = F/qB.

4. Can the velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field ever be zero?

Yes, the velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field can be zero if the force acting on the particle is zero. This can happen if the particle is moving parallel to the magnetic field or if the force and velocity vectors are perpendicular but cancel each other out.

5. How can I experimentally determine the velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

There are several ways to experimentally determine the velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field. One method is to use a particle accelerator to accelerate the particle to a known velocity and then measure the deflection of the particle in a known magnetic field. Another method is to use a cathode ray tube, which can produce a beam of charged particles that can be manipulated and measured in a magnetic field. Additionally, various detectors and sensors can be used to measure the velocity of charged particles in different experimental setups.