To choose between physics engineering and electrical engineering

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on choosing between Physics Engineering and Electrical Engineering. They share their own experience of choosing between physics and computer science and advise the listener to consider which field they find the most interesting and enjoyable. Ultimately, the speaker chose physics but acknowledges that this may not be the case for everyone. They suggest reflecting on past experiences with both fields to make a decision.
fisico
Hello everyone!

My problem is easy to explain but somewhat hard. I have to make an ultimate final decision between Physics Engineering and Electrical Engineering:confused: . I tend to be more physics inclined, but I am not sure. I know that ultimately is a conclusion that I by myself must be able to resolve:cry: , but I would definitely like to see some comments, any experiences that any of you might have with respect to. Any ideas I welcome. Thanks.:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
I went through almost the same decision (physics vs. computer, and there's a lot of overlap between computer and electrical, especially in the earlier stages).

I ended up choosing physics out of high school because I had a sort of "romanticized" notion of being the mad scientist and/or achieving fusion breakeven through sheer force of personal will and mathematical aptitude.

However, I went to a University where Engineering Science (once known as Engineering Physics) itself branched off into physics and computer streams after second year, with the computer stream being essentially computer engineering (there was an electrical option too, very, very similar to computer option). I'm in third year now, and I'm doing the computer stream. I just ultimately decided I was happier doing computer work than straight physics work. I am very glad that I chose a program that let me refocus my learning to computers (I could have gone into Engineering Science intending to do computers and switched into physics, but I could not have gone into Computer Engineering and switched into physics without a lot of trouble).

I haven't completed my undergraduate degree yet or anything, but my advice to you is figure out what you think is "coolest", and for all the related courses you've taken in the past, which assignments you least minded doing. A significant part of your life is going to be focussed on this, so you really shouldn't be overly concerned with tangents like the current state of the industry (you'll get hired at the end from either stream), although the current state of the industry might be what sparks your overall interest. Have you ever done something of your own free will, not an assignment or anything (or perhaps an assignment that you went far beyond the call of duty on) in one of those fields just because you thought it was interesting? There's your choice right there. Unless, of course, you've done it for both ;). Say for electrical, you might have played with breadboards and simple circuitry; for physics you might have built something or it might even just be casual reading.

For my case, I played with LEGO mindstorms, figured out through reverse-engineering what those little BASIC snippets in our severely outdated elementary school textbooks did, wrote a few medium-complexity games in C from scratch in high school (a language which was taught in high school to a basic level, but I took to a near-professional understanding myself), did everything on computers, I practically think like a computer, wrote code that was used by a Nuclear Generating company in high school as a project that went a bit above the call of duty, LEGO Mars rover competitions, my favourite classes were always named "Computers", etc. (I stop now not for lack of anecdotes)... vs. for physics, reading Asimov non-fiction and some stuff on chromodynamics and other weird stuff, with the math that was well beyond me at the time filtered away. On balance, I probably should have been able to figure it out.

I personally chose physics because I had a great time in physics classes with by far the best teacher I have ever encountered, but ultimately physics was not in-and-of-itself as interesting to me, yet I had never encountered a concept in computers that was wholly uninteresting to me. Not once.* Note, I still find it very interesting -- why else would I lurk at physics forums? Not for the little computer section, I can tell you that.

So I will give you no specific advice, just leave you with my experience and hope that this helps you.

* Please don't test this. There's a difference between wholly uninteresting and minutely interesting, and a further difference between minutely interesting and worth my time.

I understand your dilemma and can provide some insight to help you make your decision. Both physics engineering and electrical engineering are fascinating fields with a lot of overlap, but there are some key differences that may help guide your decision.

Physics engineering is a broad field that combines principles of physics with engineering design and problem-solving. This field focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe and applying them to create new technologies and solutions. You will learn about topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, and how to use this knowledge to design and optimize systems and devices.

On the other hand, electrical engineering is a more specialized field that focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. This field is highly technical and involves designing, developing, and testing electrical systems, components, and devices. You will learn about topics such as circuit analysis, digital systems, power systems, and signal processing.

To help you make your decision, I suggest researching the curriculum and course offerings for both programs at your desired universities. This will give you a better understanding of the specific topics and skills you will learn in each program. You can also reach out to current students or professionals in both fields to gain insight into their experiences and daily work.

Additionally, consider your long-term career goals and which field aligns more with your interests and passions. Both fields offer a wide range of career opportunities, so it's important to choose one that you can see yourself enjoying and excelling in.

In the end, the decision is ultimately yours to make. Whichever path you choose, make sure to fully immerse yourself in the subject and take advantage of any opportunities or experiences that come your way. Good luck!

1. What is the main difference between physics engineering and electrical engineering?

Physics engineering is a branch of engineering that applies principles of physics to design and develop systems, while electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity and electromagnetism.

2. Which field has better career prospects?

Both physics engineering and electrical engineering have strong career prospects in industries such as energy, telecommunications, and manufacturing. However, the demand for electrical engineers is higher due to the widespread use of electronics in various industries.

3. What skills are required for success in physics engineering and electrical engineering?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of math and physics principles, are essential for success in both fields. Additionally, electrical engineering requires a strong understanding of circuit design and electronics, while physics engineering may require knowledge of other scientific disciplines such as materials science or thermodynamics.

4. Can I switch between physics engineering and electrical engineering during my studies or career?

It is possible to switch between these fields, as they have some overlapping principles and skills. However, it may require additional coursework or training to make the transition. It is important to research and carefully consider the specific requirements and career paths for each field before making a decision.

5. Which field offers better salary and job stability?

Both physics engineering and electrical engineering have high earning potential and job stability. Salaries may vary depending on experience, location, and industry. Generally, electrical engineering has a slightly higher average salary, but both fields offer good opportunities for career advancement and stability.