Modified Gravity with Baryon Oscillations: SDSS to WFMOS

In summary: , as opposed to actually doing physics with them. they look for low energy limits of string theory and if they cant find them shoot them down.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0605278

Searching for modified gravity with baryon oscillations: from SDSS to WFMOS
Authors: Kazuhiro Yamamoto, Bruce A. Bassett, Robert C. Nichol, Yasushi Suto, Kazuhiro Yahata
Comments: 16 pages, submitted to PRD

We discuss how the baryon acoustic oscillation (BAO) signatures in galaxy power spectrum can distinguish the two different models to explain the cosmic acceleration, the modified gravity and the cosmological constant. For this purpose, we consider a model characterized by a parameter n, which corresponds to the Dvali-Gabadadze-Porrati (DGP) model if n=2 and reduces to a spatially-flat cosmological model with a cosmological constant for n=\infty. We find that the different expansion history of the modified gravity model systematically shift the peak positions of BAO. A preliminary analysis using the current SDSS LRG sample indicates that the original DGP model is disfavored unless the matter density parameter exceeds 0.3. The constraints will be strongly tightened with future spectroscopic samples of galaxies at high redshifts. WFMOS, in collaboration with other surveys such as Planck, will powerfully constrain modified gravity alternatives to dark energy as the explanation of cosmic acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Wolram, personally I cannot understand this.
don't seem able to get to square one with it.
maybe someone else can.

they seem to be comparing a BRANEWORLD
scenario they call DGP
against the more usual model with dark energy or positive cosmological constant.

DGP means Dvali-Gabadadze-Porrati

I usually don't bother with Braneworld scenarios because they don't strike me as Occam enough to be interesting. Too much junk. extra dimensions. If there was some NEED for extra dimensions that would be something else, but there doesn't seem to be any. My personal opinion of course but I think that
in cosmology at least, the simpler 4D models are developing just fine.

there is a group at Portsmouth with Roy Maartens that does quantum cosmology phenomenology-----they study how to TEST QUANTUM WORLD MODELS. that is commendable for sure, roy maartens is first rate, portsmouth is on the map and one of the coauthors of your paper is at portsmouth. So far so good.

I guess the name of the game is you are supposed to be up for testing anything no matter how strange and if possible shoot it down. kill it before it multiplies.

that seems to be what they are doing here in this paper. they say the Braneworld explanation of accerating expansion effects is 'DISFAVORED' by their analysis.

You may have spotted a trend, Wolram. Thanks. At first i didnt realize it was going to be interesting. I will keep an eye out for more stuff like this.

Last edited:
I had to google , Dvali-Gabadadze-Porrati , why are there no Toms ,Dicks
or Freds, any way i could not tell by the words how their test works, but if it
is a step to killing this horrid thing fair enough.

wolram said:
I had to google , Dvali-Gabadadze-Porrati , why are there no Toms ,Dicks or Freds, any way i could not tell by the words how their test works, but if it is a step to killing this horrid thing fair enough.

Yeah why? It's sure not the fault of the Dvalis, Gabadadzes, and Porratis of this world! Speaking as a guy named Dick.

Father, forgive them their senses of humor
[looks to the heavens]

Hi wolram, I promised to keep a look out for this kind of thing. one came out today:

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0605371
Using cosmology to constrain the topology of hidden dimensions

Joan Simon (UPenn), Raul Jimenez (UPenn, OCIW), Licia Verde (UPenn), Per Berglund (UNH), Vijay Balasubramanian (UPenn)
4 pages

"A four-dimensional universe, arising from a flux compactification of Type IIB string theory, contains scalar fields with a potential determined by topological and geometric parameters of the internal -hidden- dimensions. We show that inflation can be realized via rolling towards the large internal volume minima that are generic in these scenarios, and we give explicit formulae relating the microscopic parameters (e.g., the Euler number of the internal space) to the cosmological observables (e.g., the spectral index). We find that the tensor-to-scalar ratio, the running of the spectral index, and the potential energy density at the minimum are related by consistency relations and are exponentially small in the number of e-foldings. Further, requiring that these models arise as low-energy limits of string theory eliminates most of them, even if they are phenomenologically valid. In this context, this approach provides a strategy for systematically falsifying stringy inflation models."

the phenomenology brethren seem to busy themselves with ways to put brane and extra dimension to the test

What is modified gravity?

Modified gravity is a theory that proposes alternative explanations for the observed effects of gravity, such as the rotation of galaxies and the accelerated expansion of the universe. These theories suggest that the laws of gravity may be modified at large scales or in extreme environments.

What are baryon oscillations and how do they relate to modified gravity?

Baryon oscillations are fluctuations in the distribution of matter in the universe, caused by sound waves that traveled through the early universe. These oscillations can be used as a standard ruler to measure the expansion history of the universe. In modified gravity theories, baryon oscillations can provide insight into the nature of gravity and its effects on the large-scale structure of the universe.

What is the SDSS and how does it contribute to the study of modified gravity with baryon oscillations?

The Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) is a project that maps millions of galaxies and quasars in the universe. It has provided precise measurements of baryon oscillations, which can be used to test the predictions of modified gravity theories. The SDSS data has been crucial in constraining the parameters of these theories and providing evidence for or against them.

What is WFMOS and why is it important for studying modified gravity with baryon oscillations?

WFMOS (Wide Field Multi-Object Spectrograph) is a next-generation telescope instrument that will be used to observe and measure the properties of galaxies and quasars on a large scale. With its increased sensitivity and ability to observe a larger number of objects at once, WFMOS will be instrumental in further testing and refining modified gravity theories using baryon oscillations.

What are the potential implications of studying modified gravity with baryon oscillations?

Studying modified gravity with baryon oscillations can have a significant impact on our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. If the predictions of these theories are confirmed, it could lead to a paradigm shift in our understanding of gravity and the nature of the universe. On the other hand, if these theories are disproven, it would provide stronger support for the current theory of gravity, general relativity. Either way, this research has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the cosmos.