Solving Optics Problems: Finding Angle of Light Refraction and Object Position

• Thread starter JassC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
Let's see...In summary, for the first question, the light will leave the glass at an angle of 22.24 degrees relative to its normal. And for the second question, the object must be placed at a distance of 28.5 cm from the mirror in order to produce an erect image 2 times larger than the object.
JassC
A diver shines light up to the surface of a flat glass-bottomed boat at an angle of 32 degrees relative to the normal.
If the indices of refraction of air, water, and glass are 1.0, 1.33, and 1.4 respectively, at what angle does the light leave the glass (relative to its normal)? Answer in units of Degree.

This is how I did it...(1.0)(Sin32)=(1.4)(SinX)
22.24 Degrees = Sin X

Where did I go wrong?

And my other question is:
A concave mirror has a focal length of 19 cm. What is the position of the object if the image is erect and is 2 times larger than the object? Answer in units of cm.

I have no idea what to do for this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
JassC said:
This is how I did it...(1.0)(Sin32)=(1.4)(SinX)
22.24 Degrees = Sin X

Where did I go wrong?

remember that the ray of light first is refracted from water to glass and next from glass to air.

so we get:

[tex]n_{w}\cdot sin(\theta_{w}) = n_{g}\cdot sin(\theta_{g})[/tex]

then since the refracted ray has an angle [tex] \theta[/tex] equal to the angle after refraction by the glass, the next equation will be:

[tex]n_{g}\cdot sin(\theta_{g}) = n_{air}\cdot sin(\theta_{air})[/tex]

And thus:

[tex]n_{w}\cdot sin(\theta_{w}) = n_{air}\cdot sin(\theta_{air})[/tex]

Last edited:
Alright that helped. Thanks.

Any ideas for the other question :) ?

and there's one more...lol

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3126/homework10003vk2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JassC said:
And my other question is:
A concave mirror has a focal length of 19 cm. What is the position of the object if the image is erect and is 2 times larger than the object? Answer in units of cm.

use the fact that the image is enlarged 2 times. Use the realtion:

[tex] M = \frac {i} {o} = \frac {L_{i}} {L_{o}} = 2.0[/tex] with M = magnification, i = imagedistance, o = objectdistance and L = length.

Now we know from this relation that the image distance i is twice as large as the object distance o --> i = 2o

Now use the lens equation and substitute i = 20 and solve the equation for o (f is already known):

[tex] \frac {1} {19} = \frac {1} {2o} + \frac {1} {o}[/tex]

o = 28.5

Plug that in...i/0 = 2.0

Li = 57?

JassC said:
o = 28.5

Plug that in...i/0 = 2.0

Li = 57?

They ask for the position of the object, thus in my opinion the object distance.

Hmm...maybe I did the calculations right but 28.5 for object distance is wrong.

What is the angle of light refraction and how is it calculated?

The angle of light refraction is the angle at which a ray of light bends when it passes from one medium to another. It is calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two media.

What factors affect the angle of light refraction?

The angle of light refraction is affected by the difference in the refractive indices of the two media, as well as the angle of incidence of the light ray. The refractive index is a measure of how much a material can bend light, and it varies depending on the type of material. The angle of incidence is the angle at which the light ray hits the interface between the two media.

How does the position of an object affect the angle of light refraction?

The position of an object can affect the angle of light refraction because it determines the angle of incidence at which the light ray will hit the interface between the two media. The closer the object is to the interface, the steeper the angle of incidence will be, resulting in a larger angle of refraction.

What are some real-life applications of solving optics problems?

Solving optics problems is crucial in many fields, such as engineering, astronomy, and optometry. In engineering, it is used in designing and optimizing lenses for cameras and telescopes. In astronomy, it is used to study the behavior of light in space and to understand the properties of celestial objects. In optometry, it is used to determine the correct prescription for eyeglasses or contact lenses.

What are some common mistakes when solving optics problems?

Some common mistakes when solving optics problems include not considering the correct units for the refractive index, not using the correct formula for calculating the angle of refraction, and not considering the correct direction of the light ray. It is also important to keep track of the signs of the angles and velocities when applying Snell's Law.