Finding the Zero Point of Electric Field from a Dipole Configuration

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net electric field produced by two fixed particles on an x-axis with different charges. The question is posed about finding the coordinate on the x-axis where the electric field is equal to zero. The individual's initial thinking process is shared and it is mentioned that the net electric field should be a function of x. Ultimately, the solution is given to sum the electric fields from both particles and solve for x to find the coordinate where the net electric field is zero.
czaitz
I'd like to check my thinking which is getting fuzzy:

Question: Two particles are fixed to an x axis: particle 1 of charge q1 = 2.91 x 10-8 C at x = 26.3 cm and particle 2 of charge q2 = -5.82q1 at x = 46.6 cm. At what coordinate on the x-axis is the electric field produced by the particles equal to zero?

I am thinking: q1=2.91E-8C and q2=-1.694E-7C . I found the net electric field by using Coulomb's law, which is .0013 N/C. Now I need to find where the net E field is zero, and I thought that if I set E=0 I could find the r where E=0 but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I can't just substitute E to find r ...I know it's not that hard but I'm experiencing a block...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your net electric field shouldn't be a constant, it should be a function of x (or r, but you're only considering the one direction). It should be the sum of two electric fields, one from q1, one from q2. Then set it equal to zero and solve for x.

Well, gosh, that makes sense! thanks!

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. This results in a net electric field between the two charges.

2. How is the electric field due to a dipole calculated?

The electric field due to a dipole can be calculated using the formula E = (1/4πε)2 (2p/r3), where p is the dipole moment and r is the distance from the dipole.

3. What is the direction of the electric field due to a dipole?

The electric field due to a dipole is directed along the line connecting the positive and negative charges, from the positive charge towards the negative charge.

4. How does the strength of the electric field due to a dipole change with distance?

The strength of the electric field due to a dipole decreases as the distance from the dipole increases. This is because the inverse square law applies, meaning the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

5. Can the electric field due to a dipole be zero?

Yes, the electric field due to a dipole can be zero at certain points along the axis passing through the dipole and perpendicular to the dipole. This is known as the electric dipole moment and occurs when the distance between the charges is equal to the distance from the point to the dipole.