Coordinate Geometry: Proving Chord & Tangent of Rectangular Hyperbola

Then you would find that the equation of the tangent at point P is py+ x= 2cp. In summary, the equation of the chord PQ is pqy+x=c(p=q), and the equation of the tangent at point P is py+x=2cp.
Harmony
The points P(cp,c/p) and Q(cq,c/q) lie on the rectangular hyperbola xy=c^2. Show that the equation of the chord PQ is pqy+x=c(p=q), and deduce the equation of the tangent at the point P.

I can do the proving. And I can find the tangent as well if the word "deduce" is not there. How can you deduce the equation by referring to the chord PQ?

Physics news on Phys.org
- post deleted...I was talking out of my hat -

Last edited:
Harmony said:
The points P(cp,c/p) and Q(cq,c/q) lie on the rectangular hyperbola xy=c^2. Show that the equation of the chord PQ is pqy+x=c(p=q), and deduce the equation of the tangent at the point P.

I can do the proving. And I can find the tangent as well if the word "deduce" is not there. How can you deduce the equation by referring to the chord PQ?
You mean pqy+ x= c(p-q). Remember that we can think of a tangent, at P, as being the "limit" of the chords as q goes to p. Take the limit as q goes to p of pqy+ x= c(p- q).

1. What is a rectangular hyperbola?

A rectangular hyperbola is a type of curve that is created when a plane intersects a double cone at an angle parallel to the base. It is a special case of a hyperbola and is characterized by its rectangular shape.

2. How do you prove that a chord of a rectangular hyperbola is equal to the tangent at the point of intersection?

To prove that a chord of a rectangular hyperbola is equal to the tangent at the point of intersection, we can use the properties of a hyperbola and the definition of a tangent. We know that a tangent is a line that intersects a curve at only one point, and in this case, the curve is the rectangular hyperbola. By using the properties of a hyperbola, we can show that the chord and the tangent are actually the same line, and therefore they have the same length.

3. What is the equation for a rectangular hyperbola?

The equation for a rectangular hyperbola is given by x2/a2 - y2/b2 = 1, where a and b are the distances from the center to the vertices along the x and y axes, respectively. This equation can also be written as y = ±(b/a)x, which shows that the rectangular hyperbola has two asymptotes, one with a slope of b/a and the other with a slope of -b/a.

4. Can a rectangular hyperbola have a negative value for a or b?

No, a rectangular hyperbola cannot have a negative value for a or b. This is because the equation for a rectangular hyperbola includes the squares of a and b, which will always result in a positive value. Additionally, the definition of a hyperbola states that the distance from the center to the vertices must be positive, meaning that a and b must also be positive.

5. How is coordinate geometry used to study rectangular hyperbolas?

Coordinate geometry is used to study rectangular hyperbolas by providing a way to graph and manipulate them using their equations. By plotting points and drawing lines on a coordinate plane, we can visualize the properties of a rectangular hyperbola and use mathematical techniques to prove various theorems about them. Additionally, coordinate geometry allows us to find the coordinates of specific points on the hyperbola, which can be useful in solving problems involving rectangular hyperbolas.