Electromagnets and Permenant Magnets Combined

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of an electromagnet or solenoid when a permanent magnet is attached to it. It is mentioned that the behavior would not differ and the permanent magnet would be repelled with the same strength as the electrical current. The speaker also shares their personal experience with using different materials for machine frames and how it affects the performance. The conversation ends with the speaker proposing to run tests to further understand the voltage dynamics in this scenario.
Woodski
Hi,
Would an electromagnts or solenoid behave any different if a permenant magnet was attached to it when it is powered up? For example, if I had a opposing pole type electromagnet and I attached the north pole end of a permenant magnet to the north pole end of the unpowered electromagnet. Now if I power up the electromagnet would it behave in the normal manner and repel the permenant magnet with the magnetic strength with the same electrical current?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can only comment on this from a non professional standpoint. I am just an average dude, but from my experiments and knowledge of tattoo machines, I would have to say not. I have found that brass and aluminum are best suited for machine frame bases because the iron and steel ones develop magnetism during use and this condition deteriorates the performance of the machine. The electromagnets that power the machine cause the iron to become a permanent magnet and it throws all the settings out. With non ferrous material, this does not happen and the set up you start with remains unchanged until the machine needs maintenance or repair.
I have not figured out exactly what happens as far as voltage is concerned, but I can break out the old irons and run some tests if you think it would help.

I am mentally building this like this-

Consider the solenoid fitted within the poles of a horse-shoe magnet.Now,If you turn on the current,possibly there will be a repulsion...consider the following---
1.due to interaction between high density of magnetic field
2.back emf induced in the solenoid in the transient state.

1. How are electromagnets and permanent magnets different?

Electromagnets are made by running electricity through a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field. Permanent magnets, on the other hand, are made from materials that are always magnetic, such as iron, nickel, or cobalt. The magnetic field of a permanent magnet cannot be turned on or off like an electromagnet.

2. Can electromagnets and permanent magnets be combined?

Yes, they can be combined. By placing a permanent magnet inside a coil of wire and running electricity through the coil, the magnetic field can be enhanced. This is known as an electromagnet and permanent magnet combination.

3. What are some practical applications of combining electromagnets and permanent magnets?

Electromagnets and permanent magnets combined are often used in electric motors, generators, and speakers. They can also be used in magnetic levitation systems, magnetic separation processes, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

4. What are the advantages of using a combination of electromagnets and permanent magnets?

One advantage is that the strength of the magnetic field can be adjusted by varying the amount of electricity running through the coil. Another advantage is that the magnetic field can be turned on and off, allowing for more control in certain applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using combined electromagnets and permanent magnets?

One limitation is that the strength of the magnetic field is dependent on the amount of electricity flowing through the coil. If the power source is interrupted or turned off, the magnetic field will also disappear. Additionally, the materials used in permanent magnets can lose their magnetism over time, which may affect the overall strength of the combined magnetic field.