Electric Flux through an Infinite Plane due to a Point charge

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem that is difficult for him, and he receives help from a classmate.
sharpnova

Homework Statement

A point charge of 43 microcoulombs is located a distance 48 meters from an infinite plane. Determine the electric flux through the plane due to the point charge.

Homework Equations

flux = integral E d A = enclosed charge / epsilon_0
E = kQ / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well first off. This is the first problem of the assignment. I've finished EVERY other problem including the ones that require me to actually work out line integrals. No problem. But this one is stumping me.

I know how to calculate say.. the electric flux through some area of the plane.. using flux = EA.. and if I had the surface charge density I could easily just use a cylinder (gaussian surface) to find the answer. But with an infinite plane.. with no mention of any of its properties.. I seem to have reached the limit of my understanding of flux.

I tried the obvious 43 microcoulombs / episolon_0 and that submitted as incorrect.

So I'm stumped and have no clue how to proceed.

Would I want to calculate the E? A distance is given. so I can find out kQ/(43m)^2 but then I need an area to multiply that by.. and infinity doesn't really lend itself well to multiplication. (at least not in the case where you're trying to submit the answer online)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want, you can find the field at any point on the plane and integrate to find the flux. But there's a much simpler way. Imagine the field emanating in all directions from the point charge. How much of it passes through the infinite plane? What fraction of the total flux?

Bam

Submitted and correct. Thank you.

I had a feeling it would be something embarassing :p

Last edited:
sharpnova said:
Submitted and correct. Thank you.

I had a feeling it would be something embarassing :p

I have a feeling that you're in my class.

anyway, thanks for the tip, doc al...

1. What is electric flux through an infinite plane?

The electric flux through an infinite plane is the measure of the amount of electric field passing through the plane. It is given by the product of the electric field and the area of the plane.

2. How is electric flux affected by a point charge?

The electric flux through an infinite plane is affected by a point charge as the electric field lines originating from the point charge will pass through the plane, increasing the overall flux through the plane.

3. What is the mathematical formula for calculating electric flux through an infinite plane due to a point charge?

The mathematical formula for calculating electric flux through an infinite plane due to a point charge is given by Φ = EA, where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field, and A is the area of the plane.

4. How does the distance between the point charge and the plane affect the electric flux?

The electric flux through an infinite plane due to a point charge is inversely proportional to the distance between the point charge and the plane. As the distance increases, the electric field decreases, resulting in a decrease in the electric flux.

5. Is the electric flux through an infinite plane due to a point charge affected by the orientation of the plane?

No, the electric flux through an infinite plane due to a point charge is not affected by the orientation of the plane. As long as the plane is perpendicular to the electric field lines originating from the point charge, the flux will remain the same.