Electric Field Propulsion for Starting a Gas Engine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an electromagnetic coil wrapped around a cylinder as a starter for a gasoline engine. There is discussion about the advantages and limitations of this method, including the need for a strong enough magnetic field and potential issues with mounting and power supply. Overall, it is deemed unnecessary and potentially less effective than the current method of using a starter motor.
iluvsr20s
My mind was wandering the other day in class, just after our physics teacher showed us the railgun he and his class made a while back. Anyway, I was wonder if you could use this principle in starting a gasoline engine. If you wrapped the electromagnetic coil around a cylinder, and fired it like you fired the rail gun for a short burst just to get the piston moving to the top of the cylinder. As i was typing i realized that the one cylinder wouldn't always be at bdc when you shut the car off. There would really be nothing to gain, but maybe space and weight. Just chuckin out there for yah to think about.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wouldn't that also take less power than the alternator currently does? Hence making the battery last longer?

tandoorichicken said:
Wouldn't that also take less power than the alternator currently does? Hence making the battery last longer?

The alternator is not used as the starter. Some older cars used DC generators as starters, but now there is a distinct difference between the two.

I don't see how this would save power. Also, another problem--How do you ensure the engine turns in the correct direction using your EM starter? Simply pushing down on a piston would not ensure the engine turns in the correct direction. Another thing is engines don't start on the first 1/2 revolution.

Engines use aluminum pistons. Last I checked, aluminum is not a magnetic material. At least not enough to do what you are describing.

Last edited:
This would present many problems. For one, how would you exactly mount this starter and where would it go? I don't think it could wrap around the cylinder necessarily. There wouldn't be room for it around a cylinder as for the size of the block and the nature of the engine block itself. Each cylinder is wrapped in a "water jacket" which uses water to cool the cylinder. Also, in addition to what faust9 said about the cylinder/crank position, there's also the issue of having enough power for the one cylinder to turn the crankshaft and all the other cylinders. The problem would be smaller in maybe a 3 or 4 cylinder engine because of the less inertia (less cylinders). If you tried it in an engine with more cylinders, it becomes a problem (such as a 6 or 8 cylinder).

You probably already have a solution to all these problems, and if so you've done your homework well :biggrin: . Just wanted to maybe point these out. Good luck with that.

Seems unnecessarily complex, the current method is simple, effective and cheap. Not clear that this method will be able to compete.

1. How does electric field propulsion work to start a gas engine?

Electric field propulsion uses an electric field to ionize the air around the spark plug of a gas engine, creating a conductive path for the spark to jump and ignite the fuel-air mixture. This method is more efficient and reliable than traditional mechanical starters.

2. What are the benefits of using electric field propulsion to start a gas engine?

Electric field propulsion eliminates the need for a starter motor, which can save space and weight in a vehicle. It also reduces wear and tear on the engine and provides a more consistent and reliable ignition system.

3. Is electric field propulsion safe for use in starting a gas engine?

Yes, electric field propulsion is safe for use in starting a gas engine. It has been extensively tested and is used in various applications, including automotive engines.

4. Can electric field propulsion be used in all types of gas engines?

Yes, electric field propulsion can be used in most types of gas engines, including two-stroke and four-stroke engines. However, it may not be suitable for engines with very high compression ratios.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using electric field propulsion to start a gas engine?

One potential drawback is that electric field propulsion requires a power source, such as a battery, to operate. If the power source fails, the engine will not start. Additionally, some experts believe that electric field propulsion may produce more electromagnetic interference (EMI) than traditional mechanical starters, although this can be mitigated with proper shielding.