What's the Current of the Potential Difference?

In summary, the current in a gas discharge tube is in the direction of the movement of the positive ions.
mrlucky0

Homework Statement

A potential difference is applied between the electrodes in a gas discharge tube. In 2.0 s, 3.3*10^16 electrons and 1.2*10^16 singly charged positive ions move in opposite directions through a surface perpendicular to the length of the tube. What is the current in the tube?

Homework Equations

I = C/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I reason that the current is in the direction of the movement of the positive ions:

I = { 1.2E16 positive ions * 1.60E-19 C / 1 positive ion } / 2 seconds
= 9.6E-4 A

However the above is not the correct solution, and neither is when I use 3.3E16, the number of electrons. I think I'm not understanding a concept here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know, current is "flowing" in the positive charge direction, i.e opposite direction of electron motion. So that the total flow of charge is:

deltaQ = (1.2*10^16 + 3.3*10^16)*1.602*10^-19 C

Draw a picture of electrons moving towards one end of the tube, and positive ions towards the other. Then draw arrows that represent the current assoiciated with each "charge-type", then add :)

Then divide by 2sec; then the average current is: I_avg = 0.0036 [C/s = A]

This question is ambiguous.

When those positive ions hit the cathode, they'll pick up electrons and start moving in the opposite direction. We might presume that since it says they are singly charged, that each ion carries two electrons each trip.

What is not made clear, is whether the value specified for electrons moving from the cathode to the anode includes the electrons that are carried by negative ions.

If the value specified for electrons includes those carried by negative ions, then simply consider the electron flow that is specified, and ignore the statement about the ions.

If the value specified for electrons does not include those carried by negative ions, then double the ion flow (because each ion carries two electrons each trip) and add the electron flow to get the total flow.

Last edited:

1. What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and is the rate at which charges pass through a given point in a circuit.

2. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in units of volts (V) and determines the amount of work needed to move an electric charge between these two points.

3. How are current and potential difference related?

Current and potential difference are directly proportional to each other, according to Ohm's law. This means that as potential difference increases, current also increases. However, this relationship can be affected by factors such as resistance and type of material.

4. What is the role of potential difference in a circuit?

Potential difference is essential in a circuit as it provides the driving force for current to flow. Without a potential difference, there would be no flow of electric charge and no functioning circuit.

5. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured. The voltmeter will display the voltage in units of volts (V).