Can nanomaterials revolutionize supercomputing?

• Thread starter Phred101.2
  • Start date
In summary, there has been a recent "breakthrough" in nanomaterials that involves scaling metallic wires down to nano-size. These wires exhibit non-classical behavior, potentially leading to higher densities of switches and other devices in chips. The original article also includes links to other nanowire studies, one of which discusses the possibility of room temperature superconductivity in these wires. The conversation also touches on the advancements in supercomputing, with the speaker expressing excitement at the idea of a handheld supercomputer.
Phred101.2
There has been a recent "breakthrough" in nanomaterials:

http://www.physorg.com/news112289877.html

This appears to be about scaling metallic "wires" down to nano-size. Such wires behave in a non-classical way and this may lead to much higher densities of switches and other devices etc. in chips. The page has links to other nanowire articles...

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember one of my professors years ago giving a seminar on his calculation of the behavior of metallic wires as the cross-section is reduced. If memory serves me correctly they became superconducting at room temp.

I'd love to have a hand-held supercomputer, the fun stuff I'd work on.

You already have one.
The first supercomputer I worked on ran at around 200MFlops - about the same as the CPU in playstation 3 and 1/10 the speed of the GPU in the same console.

1. What is a hand-held supercomputer?

A hand-held supercomputer is a portable device that combines the power and capabilities of a traditional desktop supercomputer with the convenience and mobility of a hand-held device. It is designed to perform complex computations and data processing tasks, similar to a traditional supercomputer, but in a smaller and more portable form.

2. How does a hand-held supercomputer differ from a regular smartphone or tablet?

A hand-held supercomputer is specifically designed for high-performance computing tasks, while smartphones and tablets are primarily designed for communication and everyday tasks. A hand-held supercomputer typically has a more powerful processor, larger memory and storage capacity, and specialized hardware for advanced computing tasks.

3. What are the potential applications of a hand-held supercomputer?

A hand-held supercomputer can be used in a variety of fields, including scientific research, engineering, finance, and artificial intelligence. It can be utilized for advanced simulations, data analysis, and machine learning tasks that require high computing power. It can also be used for on-the-go data processing and analysis in remote locations.

4. How does the size of a hand-held supercomputer affect its performance?

The size of a hand-held supercomputer does not necessarily determine its performance. While smaller devices may have limitations on their processing power, larger devices may have better cooling systems and more space for additional hardware, allowing for higher performance. Ultimately, the performance of a hand-held supercomputer depends on its specific design and hardware components.

5. Are hand-held supercomputers accessible to the general public?

Currently, hand-held supercomputers are primarily used in specialized industries and research institutions. However, as technology advances and the demand for high-performance computing grows, it is possible that hand-held supercomputers will become more accessible to the general public in the future.