HELP!Understanding Resistance Calculations in Series Circuits with Light Bulbs

In summary, the 60 watt bulb will glow brighter in this scenario because it has a higher resistance, causing it to draw more current and dissipate more power. The voltage and current in the circuit are the same for both bulbs, but the power dissipated by the 60 watt bulb is higher due to its higher resistance. This is known as the negative resistance effect in incandescent light bulbs.
GT1981
Two light bulbs, one 60 watt bulb (higher resistance) and one 100 watt bulb (lower resistance) are placed in series. A current is run through them. Which bulb glows brighter?

The answer detailed that: The bulb with more resistance would draw more current, thus get more voltage, so the 60 watt bulb glows brighter, has more power.
I thought all resistors in series had the same current...so how is it possible to draw more current (especially with more resistance)?

HELP!
THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, something sounds fishy.. but I agree most power is dissipated by the 60w bulb.

Which ever bulb dissipates more power glows brighter.
Basically, the two bulbs are like two resistors. One higher (60W) and the other lower (100W).
The higher resistor drops more voltage than the lower resistor.
The current flowing thru both of them will be the same.

Power dissipated across the 60W bulb will be higher, hence it will glow brighter. If V=120V,
The resistance of the 60w bulb will be (from P=V*V/R) 240 ohms.
For 100W, R=144 ohms.
The total series resistance of the ckt is 384 ohms.

(From ohm's law) At 120V, current flowing thru the series ckt will be I=120/384= 0.3125Amps.

Power dissipation at 60W bulb is P=I*I*R = 23.4 W

Power dissipation at 100w bulb is P= 14.06 W

So you have a 23W bulb and a 14W bulb. The 23W obviously glows brighter.

Last edited:
Thanks for that additional example. Definitely helped. Just one quick question: What do you mean by "the higher resistor drops more voltage than the lower resistor"... by "drops more" what do you mean?

Thanks again,

_G

"drops more" meaning you see more voltage across the resistor.

Incandescent light bulbs have negative resistance. That circuit might even have two metastable states. So its not quite as simple as the two-resistor analogy.

fleem said:
Incandescent light bulbs have negative resistance. That circuit might even have two metastable states. So its not quite as simple as the two-resistor analogy.

Can you give some reference for the negative resistance? I don't know about that.
Thanks

TVP45 said:
Can you give some reference for the negative resistance? I don't know about that.
Thanks

The "temperature coefficient of electrical resistivity" for tungsten is .0046 per degree C at room temperature. This means that if the temperature of the incandescent element of the bulb increases by, say, 3000 degrees C, then the resistance will increase by a factor of something like 3000*.0046 = 13.8. (Actually the coefficient varies a LOT with temperature, but this gives one an idea of the magnitude of the effect).

Thanks. I am familiar with the increase in resistance; I just didn't know the name.

One of the easy ways to answer this question (other than just try it) is to see that the question is general (i.e., higher and lower power bulbs in series) reather than specific (i.e., 100W and 60W). Then you just imagine a 10000W bulb in series with a 10W one and it can be seen that the 10000W bulb is equivalent to a piece of copper wire and thus not bright at all at the current permitted by the 10W bulb, but the 10W is at full brightness since it is not in any way limited.

May i ask why " P= V^2/R " was used to calculate the Resistance of the individual light bulbs? In doing so, the voltage in each case was taken constant. (120 V in second reply) How is this possible?. The voltage across the bulbs in series is not constant!

If " P= (I^2)R " is used to calculate the resistances of the bulbs, and considering that "I" for all the bulbs is constant, (being in series) ; we conclude that the 100W bulb has most resistance. You may try it...I don't know, i may be wrong, if I am wrong , then I am wrong in selecting which formula to use, so do help me out.

Thanks

khamaar said:
May i ask why " P= V^2/R " was used to calculate the Resistance of the individual light bulbs? In doing so, the voltage in each case was taken constant. (120 V in second reply) How is this possible?. The voltage across the bulbs in series is not constant!

If " P= (I^2)R " is used to calculate the resistances of the bulbs, and considering that "I" for all the bulbs is constant, (being in series) ; we conclude that the 100W bulb has most resistance. You may try it...

I don't know, i may be wrong, if I am wrong , then I am wrong in selecting which formula to use, so do help me out.

Thanks

You're not exactly wrong, you have just not understood what was being calculated.

This was NOT done implying that the bulbs each drop 120volts in the circuit described, it was an individual calculation of the resistance of each bulb based on the fact that they dissipate the stated amount of power WHEN DROPPING 120volts. This resistance was THEN used in the circuit described.

1. What is the purpose of a light bulb?

The purpose of a light bulb is to produce light by converting electrical energy into heat and light energy. This is done through a process called incandescence, where a filament inside the bulb is heated up by an electric current, causing it to emit light.

2. How does a circuit work?

A circuit is a closed loop of wires that allows electricity to flow through. It is made up of a power source, such as a battery, wires to carry the current, and a load, such as a light bulb. When a circuit is closed, the electrical energy from the power source flows through the wires and into the load, causing it to light up or perform its intended function.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, creating only one path for the current to flow through. This means that if one component fails, the entire circuit will stop working. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, providing multiple paths for the current to flow through. This allows for different components to work independently, and if one fails, the other components will still function.

4. How do I calculate the resistance of a circuit?

The resistance of a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) equals voltage (V) divided by current (I). This can be represented by the formula R = V/I. Resistance is measured in ohms (Ω) and can also be affected by the type of material used in the circuit.

5. What are the different types of light bulbs?

There are three main types of light bulbs: incandescent, fluorescent, and LED. Incandescent bulbs use a filament and produce a warm, yellow light. Fluorescent bulbs use gas and electricity to produce UV light, which then passes through a phosphor coating to create visible light. LED bulbs use a semiconductor to produce light and are more energy-efficient than the other two types.