Microwave Leakage: How Sub-Wavelength Radiation Escapes

In summary, the conversation discusses the escape of sub-wavelength radiation from a microwave oven door slit that is under 1 cm wide. The question is raised whether a Faraday cage could prevent this escape, with a suggestion that polarization may be the reason for the leakage. The purpose of the question is to develop a solution for this issue, as the leakage can exceed the typical rate from the window when the slit size is larger than the mesh size. It is noted that the leakage is not determined solely by the wavelength and opening size, but rather by a smooth function of the wavelength and separation between conducting paths.
batlep1
How can sub-wavelength (about 12 cm./2.45GHz) radiation escape a microwave oven door slit-under 1 cm. wide. Why not a Faraday cage?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably polarization, but I'm not sure - where is this question coming from?

Coming from M.Lepselter at : mplep@btlfellows.com. Is that your question?
I thought you might have a plasmon answer but polarization is too broad an answer. The box is reflecting from all angles and a 2.45GHz photon is still 12 cm.

I don't mean who, I mean what is the purpose of this question - it is very specific.

I am developing a band-aid for many leaky microwave ovens.

A microwave oven is a Faraday cage. The leak from a door slit will exceed the typical leak rate from the window when the size of the slit exceeds the distance between rulings (mesh size) on the window. You can't simply compare the wavelength to the opening and use that as a hard limit to determine whether or not there will be leakage. There is always some leakage and it is a smooth function of the wavelength and separation between conducting paths.

1. What is microwave leakage?

Microwave leakage refers to the phenomenon where sub-wavelength radiation, which is typically contained within a microwave cavity, escapes and can potentially cause harm to nearby objects or people.

2. How does microwave leakage occur?

Microwave leakage can occur due to various reasons such as cracks or damages in the microwave cavity, improper sealing of the door, or malfunctioning of the microwave's internal components.

3. Is microwave leakage dangerous?

In most cases, microwave leakage is not dangerous as the amount of radiation that escapes is very small and usually not harmful. However, it is important to ensure that your microwave is functioning properly and to follow safety precautions to minimize any potential risks.

4. How can I test for microwave leakage?

You can test for microwave leakage by using a microwave leakage detector or by placing a cell phone inside the microwave and calling it to see if it receives a signal. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper testing.

5. How can I prevent microwave leakage?

To prevent microwave leakage, make sure to regularly check for damages or cracks in the microwave's door or cavity, ensure proper sealing of the door, and avoid using the microwave if it shows any signs of malfunctioning. It is also important to use microwave-safe containers and follow the manufacturer's instructions for operating the microwave.