Calculating Max Output Power from a 12V Battery w/ 6 Ohm Resistance

In summary, the maximum output power from a 12 volt battery with an internal resistance of 6 ohm is 6 W. To calculate this, the current is found using the formula I = V/R, which is 2 ampere. Then, the power is calculated using the formula P = VI, resulting in 24 watts. For the oscilloscope question, the correct answer is 0 volt. The peak to peak voltage is 7/2 = 3.5V, and the average value is calculated as 2 x 3.5/ pi = 2.228 or 2.23 V for a sine wave or AC wave. However, if the average value is taken over the whole cycle,
Manelectro
I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around something that seems so simple. The Question is:

What is the maximum output power from a 12 volt battery that has an internal resistance of 6 ohm ?

The answer from this books is 6 W?

My formula
First I need to find the current
I = V/R so 12volt/6 ohm = 2 ampere

When is use this formula
P = VI, 12Vx2A = 24Watt,

The next question is:
On an oscilloscope display of a pure sine wave , the peak to peak value is 7 volts. The average value of the display voltage is about:

A. 6.36 volt
B.3.18 volt
C. 0 volt
D. 2.23 volt

The answer from this book is 0 volt.

The peak to peak voltage is 7/2 = 3.5V this peak voltage

But by calculation Vaverage = 2 x 3.5/ pi = 2.228 or 2.23 V for sine wave or AC wave formula.

If the average value were taken over the whole cycle then the result would be zero value.

Thank you,
Azman

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody can answer this question. where the math guru...anyway thank :)

delet

1. How do you calculate the maximum output power from a 12V battery with a 6 ohm resistance?

To calculate the maximum output power, you can use the formula P = V^2/R, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and R is resistance in ohms. In this case, the maximum output power would be (12V)^2/6 ohms = 24 watts.

2. Why is it important to calculate the maximum output power of a battery?

Calculating the maximum output power allows you to understand the capabilities and limitations of your battery. It can also help you determine if the battery is suitable for your intended use and if it can provide enough power for your device.

3. Can the maximum output power of a battery change over time?

Yes, the maximum output power of a battery can decrease over time as the battery depletes and loses its ability to hold a charge. This is known as battery degradation and is a natural process for all batteries.

4. Are there any safety concerns when calculating the maximum output power of a battery?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when handling batteries and to follow proper safety precautions. Batteries can potentially overheat or catch fire if they are overloaded or if they are used inappropriately.

5. Can the maximum output power be increased by using multiple batteries?

Yes, connecting multiple batteries in parallel can increase the maximum output power. However, it is important to note that this also increases the overall voltage and current of the system, so proper precautions must be taken to avoid overloading the circuit.