Purple stone, what are the likely contents?

• Thread starter Ulysees
  • Start date
In summary, a purple stone is not a useful ore because all the rocks where it was found were the same type.
Ulysees
I found a purple stone and was wondering if it was a useful ore. All rock where it was found was the same type.

Can anyone guess what type of ore a purple stone might be?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
No. can you post a picture?

I've taken one with my cellphone, but the colour is not reproduced at all, and also it's blurred.

Is there any online database for the recognition of ores?

You can test various properties of minerals to get a pretty good idea of what you've got. See here: http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/mineral_id/

For that to be of any use you'll have to be sure that you've got a sample of just one mineral rather than a rock that could be a mixture of many minerals.

Bornite, a copper-iron sulfide, turns blue and or purple when it tarnishes. It has the largest percent of copper out of the major sulfide ore minerals.

Last edited:
Are you sure about the type of your stone?

There are many purple gems too... Usually found as massive rocks like purple quartz (Amethyst) or a specific branch of Flourite & many more...

A picture will solve the mystery.

Here are some pictures of an amethyst;

http://www.mindat.org/min-198.html

You can use the specifications given to test what the stone is. The most important one is its density which can be performed without any instrument. The picture is just too clasy & stylish in this link, but you will get an idea :)

Regards,
Mubashir

Thanks, it's not crystal-like at all. It's more like a rough rock.

I think that may be what marble looks like in its natural state. If I get hold of a proper camera I'll take a picture, it may be some rare sort of marble.

lapis lazuli varies from intense blue to purple. Some turquoise variants are light purple.

Marble is made mostly of calcium carbonate (like limestone and calcite crystals). It will fizz slightly in the presence of a weak acid. I've used dilute HCl in the past but I think vinegar does the trick too. Give it a go and see if you get any bubbles forming.

1. What makes a stone appear purple?

The most common cause of a purple hue in stones is the presence of minerals such as amethyst, fluorite, or quartz. These minerals have a natural purple color due to their chemical composition and can give stones a purple appearance.

2. Is every purple stone the same?

No, there are many different types of purple stones with varying chemical compositions and structures. Some may be opaque, while others are translucent or transparent. It is important to identify the specific type of stone to determine its likely contents.

3. Can a purple stone be man-made?

Yes, it is possible to create purple stones in a laboratory setting using various methods such as heat treatment, irradiation, or dyeing. These man-made stones may have a similar appearance to natural purple stones but may have different chemical compositions.

4. Are purple stones valuable?

The value of a purple stone depends on many factors such as rarity, size, and quality. Natural purple stones with high clarity and intense color can be quite valuable, while man-made stones may be less expensive.

5. What are the likely contents of a purple stone?

The contents of a purple stone can vary greatly depending on its type and origin. It may contain minerals such as amethyst, fluorite, or quartz, as well as other trace elements that give it its purple color. In some cases, it may also contain other minerals or substances that are present in the surrounding environment where the stone formed.