Parallel transport on the sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a closed curve on a sphere and the rotation of a tangent vector that is parallel transported around the curve. The solution involves using the parallel transport equation and the parallel propagator P, which is defined using the path ordering symbol and the matrix of connection 1-forms. Stokes's theorem is also mentioned as a possible approach to solving the problem, but there are some difficulties with using it on a matrix of differential 1-forms. The conversation ends with a request for help on the problem.
Pietjuh

Homework Statement

Consider a closed curve on a sphere. A tangent vector is parallel transported around the curve. Show that the vector is rotated by an angle which is proportional to the solid angle subtended by the area enclosed in the curve.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I parametrize the curve by a parameter [tex]\lambda[/tex], and write the coordinates as [tex]x^{\mu}(\lambda)[/tex].
It seems like a good idea to look at the parallel transport equation for the tangent vector [tex]V^{\mu}[/tex]:

[tex] \frac{d}{d\lambda}V^{\mu} + \Gamma^{\mu}_{\sigma\rho}\frac{dx^{\sigma}}{d\lambda} = 0[/tex]

My textbook says, that I can solve this equation exactly by using the parallel propagator P, defined by:
[tex]V^{\mu}(\lambda) = P^{\mu}_{\nu}(\lambda,\lambda_0) V^{\mu}(\lambda_0)[/tex]

The form of P is also given by:
[tex]P^{\mu}_{\nu}(\lambda,\lambda_0) = \mathcal{P}\mathrm{exp}\left(-\int^{\lambda}_{\lambda_0} A^{\mu}_{\nu}d\eta\right)[/tex]
where [tex]\mathcal{P}[/tex] is the path ordering symbol, and [tex]A^{\mu}_{\nu} = - \Gamma^{\mu}_{\sigma\nu}\frac{dx^{\sigma}}{d\lambda} [/tex]

So I think that I'm able to rewrite this as:
[tex]
P^{\mu}_{\nu}(\lambda,\lambda_0) = \mathcal{P}\mathrm{exp}\left(\oint \Gamma^{\mu}_{\sigma\nu}dx^{\sigma}\right) = \mathcal{P}\mathrm{exp}\left(\oint A^{\mu}_{\nu}\right)[/tex]

where I now consider A to be the matrix of 'connection 1-forms'. Since I'm looking at a closed loop, the matrix P is basically just a rotation in the 2-dimensional tangent space of the sphere at the point [tex]x^{\nu}(\lambda_0)[/tex], so P is an element of SO(2). So I can also write P as:
[tex]
P^{\mu}_{\nu}(\lambda,\lambda_0) = e^{\alpha(\lambda,\lambda_0) \left(\begin{array}{cc}0&1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{array}\right)}[/tex]

So it seems to me that it is possible to equate the two terms in the exponentials to each other. My idea was then that I would use Stokes's theorem to convert the circular integral of the matrix of one-forms to a surface integral. I could then relate [tex]\alpha[/tex] to this surface integral, so that I hopefully would obtain something proportional to the solid angle.

The problem however, is that I don't really know how to use Stoke's theorem on a matrix of differential 1-forms, and if it is even possible to do. The issue of the path ordering symbol also bothers me a bit... Could somebody help me out a bit on this please? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi I'm also considering a similar problem. Do you mind telling me which textbook you are referring to? Thank you very much in advance.

1. What is parallel transport on the sphere?

Parallel transport on the sphere refers to the process of moving a vector or object along a curved path on the surface of a sphere while maintaining its orientation with respect to the surface. It is a concept used in differential geometry and has applications in fields such as physics and computer graphics.

2. How is parallel transport different on a sphere compared to a flat surface?

On a flat surface, parallel transport is straightforward as the surface is locally Euclidean and vectors remain unchanged when moved along a straight path. However, on a sphere, the curvature of the surface means that vectors must be rotated as they are transported to maintain their parallelism. This is because the shortest path between two points on a sphere is along a great circle, which is not a straight line.

3. What is the significance of parallel transport on the sphere?

Parallel transport on the sphere is significant in understanding how objects or vectors behave on a curved surface. It is also used in calculations involving curvature, geodesics, and the development of maps on the surface of a sphere. Additionally, it has practical applications in navigation and graphics, such as in creating accurate 3D models of the Earth's surface.

4. How is parallel transport related to geodesics?

Geodesics are the shortest paths between two points on a curved surface. In parallel transport, vectors are moved along geodesics while maintaining their parallelism. This means that a vector that is parallel transported along a geodesic will remain tangent to the geodesic at all points along its path. In other words, geodesics are the curves along which parallel transport occurs without any rotation of the vector.

5. Can parallel transport on the sphere be applied to other curved surfaces?

Yes, the concept of parallel transport can be applied to any curved surface. However, the specific calculations and methods used may vary depending on the geometry of the surface. For example, on a hyperbolic surface, parallel transport may not result in a rotation of the vector, but rather a hyperbolic rotation.