What are the specifications for T45 tube manufactured by Osborn Metals Ltd?

• Thread starter 888eddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, T45 tube is a type of tube (british standard) made of chrome-manganese steel. There are no datasheets available for this material, but you can find values for yield stress and ultimate tensile stress at various sites.
888eddy
what is T45 tube made of? i have been on lots of websites and all i have gathered is that T45 is a type of tube (british standard) not a type of material. i really want to find a good data sheet of all the info about this material for finite ellement analysis. i need poisons ratio, ultimate tesile stress, yield stress, and youngs modulous. youngs modulous isn't such a problem since its the same for all steels but all i can find are values of similar materials such as 4130 steel for the others. i guess the figures i have got will do but i would still like to find a data sheet.

i did find a site with some values for yield stress and ultimate tensile stress for T45 but it gave a range not a specific value which i find odd. does this mean the quality of the material varies?

another value i would like to find out is the yield stress after welding but I am not sure how to get this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Boy, it's tough to find anything on T45. The Corus website mentions it along with 4130 (SAE), but there are no product datasheets readily available.

Apparently T45 is a chrome-manganese steel as compared to chrome-moly steel.

http://forums.autosport.com/printthread.php?threadid=75278
http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/t45.htm

If it has the same properties as 4130, then try
http://www.matweb.com/Search/MaterialGroupSearch.aspx?GroupID=230 (page 2)

I found this, but I don't know how reliable it is. I couldn't find the alloy on Cartech's website.

Super Alloy T45

Related Metals: High Perm 45(tm) from Carpenter Technology

Chemistry Data

Carbon - 0.15 max
Chromium - 0.5 max
Cobalt - 0.5 max
Manganese - 0.6 max
Nickel --
Phosphorus - 0.025 max
Silicon - 0.4 max
Sulphur - 0.025 max

Principal Design Features

A nickel/ iron, controlled expansion alloy, under the ASTM B753 spec (on file). Also known as High Perm 45 by Cartech. Available in mill quantities through Cartech and small runs through Scientific.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Density (lb / cu. in.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbon Manganese Steel

http://aircraftmaterialsuk.com/data/alstst/T45.html

Contact these guys, they have a detail spec sheet if they sell it.

CS

You must be very carefull with just T45, the full specification you should be looking at is BS4T45 to BS4T100 Conditions. This material is a Carbon Manganese based and conforms to the full Aerospace Specification laid down by British Standards. There are copy materials being sold into the market that are specified as BS4T45 1972 and just T45, these materials will not be produced in the correct manner and could also be dangerous if used for products within the Aerospace / Motor Sports Industry. The only supplier that we know is Elmdon Metals / Winged Aviation - www.elmdonmetals.co.uk[/URL].

Contact either Phil or Ron and they should be able to help with materials and specifications, look at their website as I think some specifications are shown.

thanks a lot everyone. all of this is very useful.

Hopefully I can help everyone a little with T45. I can see allot of threads with varying information and sometimes get worried that some people can be misleading for their own benefit!

There are a number of people supplying T45 in the UK;

TW Metals
Super Alloys
Winged Aviation
Elmdon Metals
Aerocom Metals

I suggest that you try ALL of them for prices if you are looking at buying. I have noticed a thread about T45, T45 : 1972 and BS4T45 to BS4T100 all being different and manufactured different ways (some of which could be dangerous to mankind and the rest of the Universe).

T45 is a carbon manganese cold drawn seamless tube. BS 4T45:1972 is the FULL spec for said carbon manganese tube including all chemical and mechanicals details and BS 4T 100:1997 is the procedure for inspection, testing and acceptance of seamless steel tubes and tubestock (not specific to T45 but a whole host of seamless tube).

I will get off my high horse but want to ensure that people putting fear into others, to ensure they buy off them at extortionate prices, doesn't happen... If in doubt, ask to see a copy of the certs before you buy, all stockists should not object to this!

There are allot of sales people who read these threads, some offer good advise, some are only looking for business. I myself in fact work for one of the suppliers mentioned above, but we are not in the game to rip people off which is why ALL the companies should be tried for your own comparisons.

We are Osborn Metals Ltd based in Bradford & Rotherham & Longueville France
see enclosed spec on our T45 tube we manufacture & test to Aerospace specifications

Attachments

• Osborn T45 Tube Specification English Français.pdf
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,839
ianwheatley said:
We are Osborn Metals Ltd based in Bradford & Rotherham & Longueville France
see enclosed spec on our T45 tube we manufacture & test to Aerospace specifications

Pro Formance Metals are the supply partner to Oborn Metals / Tubes for products BS4T45 to BS5T100 in accordance with BS6S100 Condition Tube, 25CRMO4 and 1.7734 (15CDV6). We carry stocks within our facility and we also have access to the manufacturing schedules for future orders, for stock items the min order is 1 length. We also supply all Metals & Plastics that are used within the Motorsports Industry based around the globe.

1. What is T45 tube made of?

T45 tube is made of a high-strength alloy steel, specifically a type of chromium-molybdenum steel.

2. What are the properties of T45 tube?

T45 tube has high tensile strength, good impact resistance, and is able to withstand high temperatures and pressures. It also has excellent corrosion resistance and is lightweight.

3. What are the common applications of T45 tube?

T45 tube is commonly used in the aerospace and defense industries for aircraft structures, missile components, and hydraulic systems. It is also used in high-performance motorsports and in the construction of high-speed trains.

4. How is T45 tube manufactured?

T45 tube is typically manufactured using a process called seamless cold drawing or pilgering. This involves pulling a solid metal bar through a series of dies to form the desired shape and size.

5. Are there any alternatives to T45 tube?

Yes, there are other types of high-strength alloy steels that can be used as alternatives to T45 tube, such as T6061 and T7075. However, each has its own unique properties and is better suited for certain applications.