[111] Throw-up problem - Launch/freefall

• Thread starter WPCareyDevil
  • Start date
In summary, the stone launched by a slingshot with an initial speed of 19.8 m/s and 1.4 m above the ground has a maximum height of (v^2-v0^2)/(2a) and takes (v-v0/a) seconds to hit the ground.
WPCareyDevil

Homework Statement

A stone is launched straight up by a slingshot. Its initial speed is 19.8 m/s and the stone is 1.40 m above the ground when launched. Assume g = 9.80 m/s2.
(a) How high above the ground does the stone rise?
wrong check mark m
(b) How much time elapses before the stone hits the ground?

Homework Equations

D= Vot + (1/2)at^2
V=at+Vo

The Attempt at a Solution

Vi=19.8m/s
d=1.4m
a=-9.8m/s

I actually solved another question I had while typing it up on here.. maybe this one will be the same.

Ok, I've attacked this thing every way I can think of, and my problem is the integration of it being launched from 1.4m above the ground. I tried 1.4=19.8t+ (1/2)(-9.8)t^2, solving quadratically for t=3.9688 and t=.071987, neither of which are correct. I know finding the time is the key to the solution, but I am not sure how to integrate the 1.4m into the formula.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me rewrite this your formula for part A is y= (v^2-v0^2)/(2a).

After you get your y component your formula for Par B is: t= v-v0/a.

t = time
a = acceleration
y = distance (vertical)

And that should give you the answer for the problem.

Sorry went through 3 or so edits kept copying the wrong equation, that should be it thou. Times the answer by 2 to get the up time and downtime for Part B.

Last edited:

I would first make sure that all the given information is accurate and consistent. I would double check the initial velocity and height, as well as the acceleration due to gravity. I would also check the units to ensure they are consistent.

Next, I would approach the problem by breaking it down into smaller parts. First, I would find the time it takes for the stone to reach its maximum height. This can be done by using the equation d=Vot + (1/2)at^2, where d is the displacement (in this case, the maximum height), Vo is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. Solving for t will give us the time it takes for the stone to reach its maximum height.

Next, I would find the maximum height by plugging in the time obtained in the previous step into the equation d=Vot + (1/2)at^2. This will give us the displacement at the maximum height.

Finally, I would use the same equation to find the time it takes for the stone to reach the ground. This time, however, the initial displacement would be the maximum height obtained in the previous step. This will give us the total time it takes for the stone to travel from its initial position to the ground.

In this way, we can break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts and use the given equations to solve for the required values.

1. What is the [111] Throw-up problem?

The [111] Throw-up problem refers to a theoretical scenario in which a person throws an object upward from a moving vehicle, such as a car or train, and then catches it as it falls back down. This problem is used in physics to illustrate the concept of relative motion and the effects of gravity on an object in freefall.

2. How is this problem related to launch and freefall?

In the [111] Throw-up problem, the launch refers to the initial throwing of the object, while freefall refers to the period of time when the object is falling back down to the person's hand. This problem is used to demonstrate the connection between these two concepts and how they are affected by the motion of the vehicle.

3. What factors affect the outcome of the [111] Throw-up problem?

There are several factors that can affect the outcome of the [111] Throw-up problem. These include the initial velocity of the object, the velocity of the vehicle, the height from which the object is thrown, and the acceleration due to gravity. The angle at which the object is thrown can also have an impact on the outcome.

4. How can this problem be solved?

The [111] Throw-up problem can be solved using principles of physics, specifically kinematics. By considering the initial and final velocities, the acceleration due to gravity, and the displacement of the object, the equations of motion can be used to calculate the time it takes for the object to reach its highest point and return to the person's hand.

5. What are some real-life applications of the [111] Throw-up problem?

While the [111] Throw-up problem is primarily used as a theoretical exercise in physics, it has practical applications in industries such as aerospace and sports. For example, understanding the concept of relative motion is crucial in designing spacecraft trajectories, and athletes often use the principles of launch and freefall in their movements to achieve maximum performance.