Free fall: total distance expressed in terms of distance fallen in nth second

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a body falls vertically from rest and the goal is to prove that by the end of the nth second, it has fallen a total distance (D) of (2d+g)^2/8g. The conversation includes equations and attempts at solving the problem, with a helpful hint provided. Finally, the correct solution is found by finding the value of n and substituting it into the equation for total distance fallen.
jemerlia

Homework Statement

A body falls vertically from rest. During the nth second it falls a distance d. Prove that by the end of the nth second it has fallen a total distance (D) of (2d+g)^2/8g

Homework Equations

x = x0 + V0 + 1/2at^2
where
x0 = initial position
v0 = initial velocity
a = acceleration
t = time

The Attempt at a Solution

The total distance is D = 1/2gn^2 because the object has fallen for n seconds. At the end of the first second d=D and t^2 = 2d/g. I'm unsure about how to proceed from here. Any help gratefully received...

Physics news on Phys.org
jemerlia, welcome to PF!

Hint: What is the distance fallen after (n-1) seconds?

Thanks for the hint - clearly the distance d is given by
d = 1/2gn^2 - 1/2g(n-1)^2
which (according to my rusty maths) simplifies
= 1/2g(2n-1)

It appears that t^2 = 2d/g is useful here but substitution appears to give nonsense. I 've obviously missed or misunderstood something.

{d = 1/2gn^2 - 1/2g(n-1)^2
which (according to my rusty maths) simplifies
= 1/2*g*(2n-1)}
This is right. Now find n in terms of d and g.
Now the total distance fallen in n seconds is D = 1/2*g*n^2. Substitute the value of n. You will get the required answer.

Many thanks for the help during the "holidays"...

Because d = 1/2 * g * (2n-1) then

n = (2*d/g + 1) / 2

= d/g + 1/2

However, when n is substituted into

D = 1/2*g*n^2

as

D = 1/2*g*(d/g + 1/2)^2

it does not produce the expected result. I guess I have a problem with the arithmetic somewhere... advice gratefully received...

D = 1/2*g*(d/g + 1/2)^2

D = 1/2*g*(2d + g)^2*1/4g^2
= (2d + g )^2/8g

Thank you to everyone who gave their time to help me with this problem. It has served to identify the areas I must work on.

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is a type of motion where an object falls towards the ground under the sole influence of gravity, without any external forces acting on it.

2. How is the total distance in free fall calculated?

The total distance in free fall is calculated by using the formula d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the total distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

3. What does "total distance expressed in terms of distance fallen in nth second" mean?

This means that the total distance an object has fallen in free fall can be expressed in terms of the distance it has fallen in a specific second. For example, the distance fallen in the second second would be double the distance fallen in the first second.

4. How does the distance an object falls in each second change in free fall?

In free fall, the distance an object falls in each second increases by a constant rate of 9.8 m/s^2. This means that in the first second, the object falls 9.8 meters, in the second second it falls an additional 9.8 meters, and so on.

5. Can the formula for free fall be used for objects in air resistance?

No, the formula for free fall assumes that there is no air resistance present. In reality, air resistance will slow down the speed of the falling object, so the formula will not accurately calculate the total distance in this case.