Searching for REU's: Tips & Recommendations

• Thread starter DukeLuke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary, if you are interested in applying to REU's, Pitt's and NYU's are good options. They offer a lot of different projects and the departments are very welcoming.
DukeLuke
I'm currently in the process of searching for and applying to various REU’s and I would like to know if any PF members have participated in a great program and would recommend that I take a look at it. I have searched through the NSF database so I have a good idea of what's out there, I'm just wondering if anyone has something specific to recommend. If it helps most of the projects that I'm interested in are related to high energy or nuclear physics. Any other advice pertaining to applying for REU's would also be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply to 6-7, as long as your recommenders don't mind. Getting into any of these is great. I can't say in particular if there is a bad REU or a good one. I went to one at Wisconsin and I really enjoyed my time there. It's a good introduction to research and hopefully, you get to live in another part of the country and experience new things.

I did two REUs at the University of Pittsburgh. If they still have funding for this year, I highly recommend the program. The department has a friendly atmosphere and there is a lot of cool research projects in all different fields.

My advice for applying to REU's is in line with Jason's. Apply to a lot of programs. The programs are very competitive and hard to get into since their are a limited number of positions. For example, my first summer at Pitt, there were 13 people admitted into the program, but several hundred applied.

for better or for worse, many programs like to give preference to under represented groups. So if you are within one of these demographics, apply to as many as possible and I am sure you'll get in somewhere. I like the REU's they offer at CUNY/Columbia/NYU (they operate jointly quite a lot) but I am partial to the NY area.

G01 said:
I did two REUs at the University of Pittsburgh. If they still have funding for this year, I highly recommend the program. The department has a friendly atmosphere and there is a lot of cool research projects in all different fields.

According to Pitt's website they missed out on funding for 2009, which is too bad.

One more question, do you think that it would be a good idea to contact professors whose projects I'm interested into get more information? While it would be a good way to learn more about a project I can see how it might backfire if the professor thought it was a way to bypass applications or "suck up" so to speak.

I personally did not contact professors. I have heard that many professors consider prospective grad students contacting them annoying. So, I can only imagine how annoying prospective REU interns are! Even if they are nice enough to respond, they'll more than likely just give you a link to their group webpage, which you could have found easily by yourself.

I would definitely express interest in specific projects and professors in your personal essay most programs will ask for. This will show that you are serious about applying to their program. Another good idea is to point out that you have previous research in a similar area (don't lie if you don't have this experience).

1. What is an REU?

An REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that allows undergraduate students to participate in research in various STEM fields.

2. How can I find REU opportunities?

There are a few ways to find REU opportunities. You can search for programs on the National Science Foundation's website, check with your university's research department, or reach out to professors in your field of interest to see if they know of any opportunities.

3. What are some tips for applying to REU programs?

Some tips for applying to REU programs include starting your search early, tailoring your application materials to each program, and reaching out to past participants or program directors for advice. It's also important to thoroughly research the program and its requirements before applying.

4. Are there any requirements for participating in an REU?

Each REU program may have different requirements, but in general, you must be an undergraduate student in good academic standing and have a strong interest in pursuing a career in STEM. Some programs may also require specific coursework or skills related to the research area.

5. Can I participate in multiple REU programs?

Yes, you can participate in multiple REU programs, but keep in mind that each program may have its own application process and deadlines. It's important to plan ahead and make sure you can commit to the time and requirements of each program.