Can Quantum Gravity Explain Inflation After the Big Bang?

In summary, there have been papers discussing whether quantum gravity effects, specifically in Loop Quantum Gravity, can explain inflation after the Big Bang. Some believe that a brief inflationary period does occur in LQC, but it may not be enough to explain certain phenomena. Others suggest that an inflaton field needs to be added to get the desired amount of inflation. Additionally, the need for significant inflation may be less pressing in nonsingular models with a bounce.
friend
I wonder if quantum gravity effects can explain Inflation after the Big Bang? For example, in Loop Quantum Gravity, there are area and volume operators and eigenvalues, etc. Would there be jumps from one volume state to another with time? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
friend said:
I wonder if quantum gravity effects can explain Inflation after the Big Bang? For example, in Loop Quantum Gravity, there are area and volume operators and eigenvalues, etc. Would there be jumps from one volume state to another with time? Thanks.

There have been papers on both sides of this issue. As a sample, here is a list of 48 papers:
http://arXiv.org/cits/gr-qc/0403106

These are the papers that cited an early work on this by Bojowald et al.
http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0403106

My personal opinion is that a brief inflationary period does arise in LQC---and is robust or generic. But this naturally arising brief inflation is not enough to produce the "60 e-folds" typically desired for inflation scenarios.

It seems that something must be put in by hand, to get the expansion by the factor e60 believed necessary to explain flatness and isotropy.

So what I see happening is that in recent LQC work by e.g. Ashtekar and Singh, they put in an inflaton field to get the conventional amount of inflation. The amount that is automatically occurring in the LQC models is not enough. This is just my personal view, I think opinions about it differ.
=========================

A separate issue is whether, in LQC, you actually need e60-fold inflation. The "horizon problem" doesn't exist in a nonsingular model with a bounce because temperature equilibrium can have been achieved prior to bounce. A major motivation for inflation scenarios, namely the CMB temperature isotropy puzzle, is no longer so pressing. Whether and how much inflation is needed remains unresolved, as far as I know.

Last edited:

I understand the curiosity about the potential connection between quantum gravity and inflation after the Big Bang. However, it is important to note that the theory of inflation is still a subject of ongoing research and there is no consensus on its exact mechanism. While there have been some attempts to incorporate quantum gravity into inflationary models, there is currently no conclusive evidence that quantum gravity can fully explain inflation.

In Loop Quantum Gravity, the area and volume operators and their corresponding eigenvalues play a crucial role in understanding the quantum nature of space and time. However, it is not yet clear how these operators and their associated jumps in volume states could be connected to the rapid expansion of the universe during inflation.

Furthermore, the scale at which quantum gravity effects become significant is much smaller than the scale at which inflation is thought to have occurred. This makes it difficult to directly apply the principles of quantum gravity to explain inflation.

In summary, while the connection between quantum gravity and inflation is an intriguing topic, there is still much research to be done before we can fully understand and explain the origins of inflation after the Big Bang.

1. What is QG and how does it relate to inflation?

Quantum gravity (QG) is a theoretical framework that seeks to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. Inflation is a theory that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. QG is believed to play a crucial role in explaining the mechanisms behind inflation.

2. How does QG explain inflation?

QG proposes that in the early stages of the universe, there were quantum fluctuations in the fabric of space and time. These fluctuations gave rise to inflation, causing the universe to expand rapidly. This expansion then smoothed out the irregularities in the universe, resulting in a more uniform and flat universe.

3. Is there evidence to support QG's explanation of inflation?

While there is no direct evidence for QG, there is strong evidence for inflation based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe. These observations align with the predictions made by the theory of inflation, which is supported by QG.

4. Are there any competing theories to QG's explanation of inflation?

Yes, there are alternative theories that attempt to explain inflation without the need for QG. These include theories such as the chaotic inflation theory and the string theory landscape. However, QG remains the most widely accepted framework for explaining inflation.

5. What are the implications of QG's explanation of inflation?

If QG's explanation of inflation is correct, it would provide further support for the theory of inflation and our understanding of the early universe. It would also have significant implications for our understanding of gravity and the behavior of matter at the smallest scales, which could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in physics.