Harmonic Oscillation: Proving Distance = 4A

In summary, the man's superelastic suspenders catch on a fence post, causing him to oscillate back and forth with an amplitude A. His displacement over one period is 0, but he travels a distance of 4A. This can be explained by the equation x=Acos(wt). Additionally, for every π/2 interval, the man's displacement increases by A, resulting in a total of 4A for a full revolution. In this context, n refers to the angle and there are four π/2 intervals in a revolution. Lastly, π is the mathematical constant pi.
nns91

Homework Statement

1. A man's superelastic suspenders catch on a fence post, he flies back and forth, oscillating with an amplitude A. What distance does he movee in one period ? What is his displacement over 1 period

Homework Equations

x=Acos(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the displacement is 0 since he returns to the original position. I also know that the distance should be 4A but I don't know how to explain it. It just makes sense to me.

How do I prove that distance is 4A ?

Physics news on Phys.org
nns91 said:

Homework Statement

1. A man's superelastic suspenders catch on a fence post, he flies back and forth, oscillating with an amplitude A. What distance does he movee in one period ? What is his displacement over 1 period

Homework Equations

x=Acos(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the displacement is 0 since he returns to the original position. I also know that the distance should be 4A but I don't know how to explain it. It just makes sense to me.

How do I prove that distance is 4A ?

What is the displacement for π/2 and each subsequent π/2 interval? How many π/2 intervals in a revolution?

What do you mean by n ?

If you mean n/2 by the angle then it will move A for each n/2 and there are 4n/2 so it moves 4A

nns91 said:
What do you mean by n ?

If you mean n/2 by the angle then it will move A for each n/2 and there are 4n/2 so it moves 4A

The font doesn't show it clearly but π is pi.

The font doesn't show it clearly but π is pi.

What is harmonic oscillation?

Harmonic oscillation is a type of periodic motion in which an object or system moves back and forth between two points, with the same amount of time between each cycle. This type of motion is common in many physical systems, such as pendulums and springs.

What does "Proving Distance = 4A" mean in harmonic oscillation?

In harmonic oscillation, the distance traveled by the object or system is equal to four times the amplitude (A) of the motion. This is a mathematical relationship that can be observed and proven through experiments.

How is distance measured in harmonic oscillation?

In harmonic oscillation, distance is typically measured as the displacement of the object or system from its equilibrium position. This can be measured in units of length, such as meters or centimeters.

What factors affect the amplitude of harmonic oscillation?

The amplitude of harmonic oscillation can be affected by several factors, including the initial energy or force applied to the system, the mass and stiffness of the system, and any external forces acting on the system. These factors can change the amount of energy in the system and thus affect the amplitude of the oscillation.

How is harmonic oscillation used in real-world applications?

Harmonic oscillation has many practical applications, such as in clocks and watches, musical instruments, and earthquake-resistant buildings. It is also used in various technologies, such as in ultrasound imaging and radio frequency filters. Understanding harmonic oscillation is crucial in many fields of science and engineering.