Existence and Uniqueness of solutions (pretty )

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and uniqueness of solutions for a given differential equation. The individual is struggling with applying the Lipschitz condition and is seeking a worked example to better understand it. The conversation also explains the relationship between "Lipschitz" and "continuous" and "continuously differentiable" on a set.
lurkre
Existence and Uniqueness of solutions (pretty urgent)

Homework Statement

I need to solve some problems and I've given one as an example.
The question is if there is existence and uniqueness of solutions to the DE

Homework Equations

u'(x) = sin(u(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the first step I'm supposed to work out is the satisfaction of the Lipschitz condition... but I don't even know how to begin with that! My text is pretty theoretical... so a worked example would really help. I get the idea of the theorem. I just have trouble applying it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The Lischitz condition (on a set) is that, for x and y in the given set, [/itex]|f(x)- f(y)|\le c|x-y|[/itex]. In the case of sin x- sin y you might write sin x and sin y in MacLaurin series as x- (1/3!)x^3+ ..., and y- (1/3!)y^3+ ... and so get sin x- sin y= x-y + terms of order (x-y)^3.

But here's a simpler way to do it: "Lipschitz" on a compact (closed and bounded) set is between "continuous" on that set and "continuously differentiable" on the set. If f(y) is differentiable on a set, by the mean value theorem, if x and y are in that set then there exist c such that [itex]|f(x)- f(y)|\le |f'(c)||x- y|[/itex]. Since f' is continuous on the closed and bounded set, there is an upper bound, M, for |f'(c)| on the set and [itex]|f(x)- f(y)|\le M|x- y|[/itex].

For example, by the mean value theorem, given any x, y, [itex]|sin(x)- sin(y)|\le |sin(c)||x- y|[/itex] for some c between x and y. In this simple case, [itex]|sin(c)|\le 1[/itex] for all c so [itex]|sin(x)- sin(y)|\le |x-y| and so sin(x) is Lipschitz.

("Lipschitz" is strictly between "continuous" and "continuously differentiable" on a set. There exist functions that are continuous on a set but not Lipschitz and functions that are Lipschitz but not continously differentiable. However, those are very unusual functions.)

1. What is the meaning of "Existence and Uniqueness of solutions" in the context of science?

The concept of "Existence and Uniqueness of solutions" refers to the ability to determine whether a given mathematical equation or problem has a solution and if that solution is unique. This is important in many scientific fields, especially in physics and engineering, as it allows for the prediction and understanding of natural phenomena.

2. Why is the existence and uniqueness of solutions important in scientific research?

The existence and uniqueness of solutions is crucial in scientific research as it allows for the validation and reliability of mathematical models and theories. Without this concept, it would be impossible to make accurate predictions and draw meaningful conclusions from scientific experiments and observations.

3. How is the existence and uniqueness of solutions determined in scientific disciplines?

The existence and uniqueness of solutions are determined using various mathematical techniques and principles, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. These methods allow scientists to analyze and solve complex problems and equations to determine the existence and uniqueness of solutions.

4. What are the implications of not having a unique solution to a scientific problem?

If a scientific problem does not have a unique solution, it can lead to multiple interpretations and conflicting conclusions. This can hinder the progress of scientific research and make it difficult to make accurate predictions and draw meaningful conclusions.

5. Can the existence and uniqueness of solutions change over time?

Yes, the existence and uniqueness of solutions can change over time as new data and information are discovered. This is why scientific theories and models are constantly evolving and being refined to better explain and predict natural phenomena.