Trebuchet Help: Calculating Final Velocity & Acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about finding the final velocity of a tennis ball in a trebuchet project. The initial velocity can be calculated using the equation F=m(v^2/r), and the final velocity will be the same as the initial velocity if the trebuchet is at the same height as the target. The use of acceleration equations is also discussed. The person seeking help expresses gratitude for the explanation, even though the project was due the previous day.
elvalil
Trebuchet help!

1. Hi, I am writing a report for a trebuchet project, and trying to find the final velocity of the tennis ball, my teacher told us to just use this :F=m(v^2/r) for initial velocity. so I am really confused right now. I don't know how to find final velocity. Also, which equation do I use for acceleration? A=change in v/ total time; or v^2/t ? /I will just post one set of data.: Range: 7.3m; time :.98s; initial velocity: 5.981m/s.

Please Help..Its Due Tomorrow..AND I am STUCK on this..=[...
THANK U !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

elvalil said:
Hi, I am … trying to find the final velocity of the tennis ball, my teacher told us to just use this :F=m(v^2/r) for initial velocity …

Hi elvalil! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Yes, your teacher is right, because the initial and final velocities will be the same (if we ignore air resistance), provided the trebuchet is at the same height as the target. :smile:

(and if it isn't, just use KE + PE = constant :wink:)

Thank you!
haha ..it was due today..
so I got my grade already...

but oh well..
thanks anyways...
now that I understand it completely.
thxx=]

1. How do I calculate the final velocity of a trebuchet?

To calculate the final velocity of a trebuchet, you will need to know the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the distance the projectile travels. You can use the formula: Vf = √(Vi^2 + 2ad), where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance the projectile travels.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity for a trebuchet?

The acceleration due to gravity for a trebuchet is typically 9.8 meters per second squared. This value can vary slightly depending on the location and elevation of the trebuchet, but for most calculations, 9.8 m/s^2 is a good estimate.

3. How do I convert units for my trebuchet calculations?

To convert units for your trebuchet calculations, you will need to use conversion factors. For example, to convert meters per second to miles per hour, you would use the conversion factor 2.237. So if your final velocity is 10 m/s, the equivalent velocity in miles per hour would be 10 x 2.237 = 22.37 mph.

4. Can I calculate the final velocity and acceleration of a trebuchet without knowing the initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the final velocity and acceleration of a trebuchet without knowing the initial velocity. You will need to know the distance the projectile travels and the time it takes to travel that distance. From there, you can use the formula: Vf = d/t and a = 2d/t^2 to calculate the final velocity and acceleration, respectively.

5. How does the weight of the projectile affect the final velocity and acceleration of a trebuchet?

The weight of the projectile does not directly affect the final velocity and acceleration of a trebuchet, but it does affect the force and energy of the trebuchet. Heavier projectiles require more energy to be launched at the same velocity as a lighter projectile. However, this does not affect the calculations for final velocity and acceleration, which depend mainly on the initial velocity and distance traveled.