What classes are you taking for Fall 2009?

In summary: Might be worth looking into.In summary, this person's 2009 schedule includes taking eight classes, including one physics and one astrophysics class. They recommend buying a book about astrophysics to self-study. They also advise students to be diligent in their English classes.
I'm a physics major and will be a sophomore
Class Schedule:

1, Honors Real Analysis -- I think it should be elementary analysis course, still don't know what text we are going to use
2, Mechanics and Relativity 2 -- We'll use Thoronton and Marion
3, E&M1 -- Griffths
4, QM1 -- Griffths again and probably supplemented by Shankar
5, intro to CS-- Java

My question:
is it too much? I originally didn't register for EM, but my advisor told me I can't appreaciate QM fully without understanding EM. He suggest me take EM instead of QM
but I simply cannot wait to take QM, I want it so much
So my schedule may be a little bit weird though.. -_-

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you guys are on the semester system? Five classes seem a bit too much for me...
Anyway here is my fall schedule,

1. Intro to X-ray diffraction and materials characterization
2. XRD Lab
3. Intro to Solid State Physics
4. Thermodynamics of Materials

jin8 said:
Class Schedule:

1, Honors Real Analysis -- I think it should be elementary analysis course, still don't know what text we are going to use
3, E&M1 -- Griffths
5, intro to CS-- Java

My question:
is it too much? I originally didn't register for EM, but my advisor told me I can't appreaciate QM fully without understanding EM. He suggest me take EM instead of QM

doesn't make sense at all. you can't truly appreciate qm without having a rigorous classical mechanics course - that is true.

ice109 said:
doesn't make sense at all. you can't truly appreciate qm without having a rigorous classical mechanics course - that is true.

I took a quantum mechanics course that used the Griffiths book, and I have never taken an electrodynamics course. There was no problem with the quantum mechanics course, so I don't see how you can't simply state that as truth. It's just an introduction so when you see quantum mechanics again you can pick up on the things you might have missed out not knowing some electrodynamics. Taking electrodynamics while taking quantum mechanics might give you an advantage since you'll be getting both point of views at the same time.

My Fall 09 Schedule. I am entering Junior Aerospace Engineering with concentration on propulsion, minors in Math and CAD/CAM (Design)

1) Advanced Math for Engineers - Kreyzig
2) Structures 1 - ?
3) Electrical Engineering 1 -?
4) Electrical Engineering Lab
5) Thermodynamics
6) Aerodynamics 1
7) Experimental Aerodynamics
8) Experimental Aerodynamics Lab

Ahh yes: My question is what is the load of doing 2 labs like? Seems as if this semester will be a tad hectic but I will manage somehow. I will also be a grader and will possibly co-host a radio show.

Last edited:
Courses (1st yr grad student)
Quantum Mechanics - Book: Arno Bohm's book on QM
Quantum Field Theory - Book: Bjorken and Drell V 1 and 2 (not sure why not Peskin...)
Graduate Research

jin8 said:
My question: is it too much? I originally didn't register for EM, but my advisor told me I can't appreaciate QM fully without understanding EM. He suggest me take EM instead of QM but I simply cannot wait to take QM, I want it so much. So my schedule may be a little bit weird though.. -_-
I don't know you; a genius can take 10 classes, for a dumb person two classes are too much. I'd say that it's doable, I always take 5 or 6 classes while 4 is 'normal'. Just spend your time wisely, and don't get behind.
n!kofeyn said:
I took a quantum mechanics course that used the Griffiths book, and I have never taken an electrodynamics course. There was no problem with the quantum mechanics course, so I don't see how you can't simply state that as truth.
Reread his statement: he replaced EM by CM (classical mechanics), so he agrees with you about the EM part.:cool:

Landau said:
I don't know you; a genius can take 10 classes, for a dumb person two classes are too much. I'd say that it's doable, I always take 5 or 6 classes while 4 is 'normal'. Just spend your time wisely, and don't get behind.
Reread his statement: he replaced EM by CM (classical mechanics), so he agrees with you about the EM part.:cool:

Yea, you're right. I read "doesn't make sense at all" to mean it doesn't make sense to take EM and QM at the same time. My fault. Although, I also took my quantum class without having a course in classical mechanics (besides the first year sequence in physics), and it still went fine. I probably missed some analogies, but for a book like Griffiths, which is problem oriented, I don't think it's as big a deal early on.

Advanced Calculus (ie, intro analysis) don't know which book
Physical Chemistry - McQuarrie
EM - Griffiths

I was going to take classical mechanics but for some reason the physics department canceled it.

naele said:
I was going to take classical mechanics but for some reason the physics department canceled it.
:bugeye: Your physics department canceled classical mechanics?! Seriously? Does your university off any classical mechanics course, run by say the Mathematics School?

Hootenanny said:
:bugeye: Your physics department canceled classical mechanics?! Seriously? Does your university off any classical mechanics course, run by say the Mathematics School?

Courses usually will get canceled in the US if there aren't enough people enrolled. Although, I don't know if that's the case here. For instance, my undergraduate quantum mechanics class only had me (a math major) and an electrical engineering major in it. Only two students and no physics majors. I think the only reason it was kept was that both of us were graduating and needed it for our minor/double majors.

n!kofeyn said:
Courses usually will get canceled in the US if there aren't enough people enrolled. Although, I don't know if that's the case here. For instance, my undergraduate quantum mechanics class only had me (a math major) and an electrical engineering major in it. Only two students and no physics majors. I think the only reason it was kept was that both of us were graduating and needed it for our minor/double majors.
I didn't know that colleges cancel courses if there aren't enough students, surely even if one students is enrolled on a course it should still be run. In the past, I have attended a Master level course where I was the only student enrolled, but the university still ran it!

This issue aside, sure Classical Mechanics should be a compulsory course for Physics, Applied Math, Engineering Majors etc.?

Hootenanny said:

Nooooo they just canceled it for the fall term. Probably an instructor snafu, but I don't know. Either way it means i'll be taking it later in the year I guess which is ok. I was hoping to get into the lagrangian/hamiltonian formalism before I take QM but oh well.

Hootenanny said:
I didn't know that colleges cancel courses if there aren't enough students, surely even if one students is enrolled on a course it should still be run. In the past, I have attended a Master level course where I was the only student enrolled, but the university still ran it!

I agree that they should still be run, but they aren't always. I know that there have been courses canceled due to low enrollment, especially if there is more than one section, although I don't think it happens all that often. A master's course is different I think because that is a course that is expected to have low enrollment.

1. Quantum Mechanics - Griffiths
2. E & M - Wangsness
3. Linear Algebra - Lay
4. Higher math - Chartrand

This is my senior year and I will be adding my general and subject GRE's (for which I haven't started studying yet) as well as grad school applications.

I was at first worried since my advisor said that I shouldn't take E & M and Quantum together, but it feels good to know that most of you guys are taking it as well.

I have a feeling that I may have some time management issues, so any tips about classes, gre's or applications would be helpfull. However I will be looking into some supplementary books you guys suggested already.

So, good luck everyone.

jaska22 said:
I have a feeling that I may have some time management issues, so any tips about classes, gre's or applications would be helpfull. However I will be looking into some supplementary books you guys suggested already.

My advice is to get started now for your GRE and graduate applications. You want to let professors know as soon as possible if you want them to write a letter of recommendation, because professors are worst than students about procrastinating. They are also very important for your application. Make sure you have a list of schools to apply to, then slowly break it down through the first half of the semester. Try to get all your apps in before the Christmas break (ideal is probably November), and remember that all schools have different deadlines.

You'll need a general essay on why you want to go to graduate school, which will differ in specifics from school to school. Get started on it now, because you need to let it set to be able to rightfully edit and shape it. Also, the subject GREs are not easy.

All I really remember about my fall semester when applying was well...applying. It is really time consuming if you take it seriously, as you should.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to start on everything now since my classes don't start until 24 which will give me some time to get ready.

And applying and recomendation letters, I was hoping to get from the profesors that I will be taking now since transfering from community college and not having most professors more than once didn't result in me feeling comfortable to ask them for recomendation letter. Also, I am very quiet and even though I do good in class (A's) I still don't seem to stand out because I don't speak up. So, I will try to change that this semester and maybe ask them for recomendation letters.

jin8 said:
Class Schedule:

3, E&M1 -- Griffths
5, intro to CS-- Java

My question:

Weird, do you mean first year E&M, the one you take right after taking Mechanics, or do you mean an advanced E&M with more detail? If you've taken the basic E&M I don't think its a problem, but if you haven't taken any E&M at all, well, I think you might just be blinded by the glory of the word quantum. I'd say your adviser is right...I'd replace QM with E&M and take QM next semester.

I took Griffiths E&M and QM at the same time, and it was alright. I mean, neither class was easy, but both were doable.

1. Circuit Theory
2. Digital Systems
3. Programming Fundamentals
4. Calculus C
5. Advanced Engineering Math

2nd year EE with a mandatory schedule for the fall and winter terms!

I'm a high school senior but I'm pretty excited

AP Physics C Mechanics
AP Physics C EM
AP Chemistry
AP Langauge and composition
AP Government
Either Calculus 2 or calculus BC (I did calc AB junior year and i got accepted into georgia tech for calc 2 so I'm deciding whether to do calc 2 or calc BC...)

Question: Am i going to die?

when did they split the AP physics course into two classes? back when i took it (some 5 years ago) it was just one class.

I didnt even knw physics C used to be one class. but they also tnking of splitting physics B.
maybe that's what you meant?

-Circuits 1 with lab - Electric Circuits (8th Edition) James Nilsson
-Signals and Systems - book: Signals and Systems, 2005 Interactive Solutions Edition by Simon Haykin

-Materials in Engineering
-Multivariable Calculus
-Logic Design with lab

Are any books recommended for these classes?

Any advices on how to take on these classes?

ralilu said:
I'm a high school senior but I'm pretty excited

AP Physics C Mechanics
AP Physics C EM
AP Chemistry
AP Langauge and composition
AP Government
Either Calculus 2 or calculus BC (I did calc AB junior year and i got accepted into georgia tech for calc 2 so I'm deciding whether to do calc 2 or calc BC...)

Question: Am i going to die?

It's not that bad. I'm going to take most of the classes you're taking, the only thing I'm scared about is AP Language, because I'm not as good in English and composition.

About the Calculus, I'd take the college course if I were you. AP Calculus is too watered down, plus the college course is only 1 semester. You can then use the 2nd semester to enroll to an more advance course (Calculus III).

Biochemistry
Calculus III
Differential Equations
First-Year Latin
Biodiesel Special Project
World Civ. to 1650

Classes:
Intro to Abstract Math - Foundations of Higher Mathematics - Patty, Fletcher
Intro to Group Theory - A First Course in Abstract Algebra - Fraleigh, Katz
Linear Algebra I - Linear Algebra - Friedberg, Insel, Spence
Elementary Analysis - Elementary Analysis - Ross

Calc III
Linear Algebra I
American Colonial Society
Intro Physics II

Circuits + Lab (Engineering Dept.)
Thermodynamics, Fluids, Heat and Mass Transfer (Engineering Dept.)
Quantum Mechanics I - Griffiths and Shankar
Science and Engineering Ethics
Science and Society in Literature (English equivalent for most schools)

Unfortunately as an engineering physics major and the way classes are offered I'm rather stuck as far as classes go:

Graduate E&M and regular Classical mechanics are only offered in the spring semester, and all the math classes that are beneficial are full since math majors get priority. Also I'm required to take thermodynamics from the physics department but meets at the same time as the engineering thermodynamics =/

That's why I'm taking two electives that, while are somewhere relevant, are not top priority.

The Solar System
Thermo/Stat Mech
Quantum Mechanics II
Differential Geometry

Four classes seems to be my limit. I tried five last semester, and it didn't go too well. I still easily passed all my classes, but I did not like the stress.

This semester, though, I am also planning to do an honors thesis in astronomy. I still have to choose a faculty mentor, though. I will likely also have to get a job to pay for rent.

I'm kind of in an interesting boat. I actually finished a bachelors in pure mathematics and philosophy two years back (with a mediocre 3.1 GPA). I was accepted to a couple of local law schools and didn't go. I looked for a job as an actuary and landed nothing (got to the final round at a couple of big companies, but didn't get any offers). So I'm finally getting off my butt and entering a graduate program in CS (well I'm in info systems). Unfortunately, it's not a very prestigious program, but I really think I'll get the skills needed to find a job in the field.

Programming II - (C++ object-oriented programming)
Telecommunication and computer networks
Computer Architecture
Accounting for managers (a graduate survey course of the two intro accounting courses)

I've got a couple of CS core courses to make up in my program before I'm allowed to take any graduate level courses. I'm really thinking I should try to knock out Data Structures and Algorithms in the same term, but I worry about taking a course like that seeing as I've only taken the first term of programming so far.

I should start a thread for grads like me who wandered about and are transitioning back to school.

Last edited:
good idea =)

classes
CALCULUS
GENERAL PHYSICS
GENERAL PHYSICS LABORATORY
GENERAL CHEMISTRY
GENERAL CHEMICAL LABORATORY
LINEAR ALGEBRA

BASIC CHINESE (I am studying at Taiwan =). )
ENGLISH
CITIZENSHIP AND CIVILITY
Elective courses
INTRO TO COMPUTER SCIENCE & APPLICATION
THE HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF PHYSICS

questions
Am I going to die?
I know it is important to know a bit about C++ for a physicist. So I wonder whether I should learn it on my own or take a class? (I am pretty dumb at computer lol)

advanced surveying +lab
physics (E&M) + lab
multivariable calc first part
diff eq and linear algebra (put together in one course)

i just finished summer taking dynamics and strength of materials, so i anticipate this load to be not as bad.

i heard the diff eq class is easy, more procedure based than previous math classes, and that calc 3 is easier than calc 2.

anything to look out for with this schedule? I will more than likely spend a good chunk of my studying time focusing on physics, but i heard it wasn't too bad.

Shing said:
questions
Am I going to die?
I know it is important to know a bit about C++ for a physicist. So I wonder whether I should learn it on my own or take a class? (I am pretty dumb at computer lol)

Seems like a bit much, but you might be able to pull it off. Taking foreign languages are a MAJOR time sink. That's not to say that they are not useful, they are, but it takes a lot of time to memorize and speak.

It's more important to be able to think like a computer more than to program in just C++. Once you've learned to think like a computer when it comes to algorithms and such it becomes quite a bit easier to teach yourself any language you need to learn (fortran, python, c, java, c++, etc...)

Only a frosh :(

Intro to Physics (Calc-based) + Lab
Careers in Physics
Calc 1
The Logic of Chess (Math Elective!)
English 101

...can't wait til spring semester.