Glue a thin sheet of copper to a cork?

• Thread starter jeff1evesque
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, various types of glue can be used to bond a thin sheet of copper to cork, depending on the type of load and conditions the joint needs to withstand. Contact cement is a good option for most conditions, as long as it isn't exposed to high temperatures or certain solvents. Other options include silicone sealant, LaPage's or Elmer's carpentry glue, or pop rivets with strain-relief washers. However, glue will not conduct current between pieces of copper, but will not affect the conductivity of a single piece. Proper surface preparation is important for all types of adhesives.
jeff1evesque
Does anyone know what kind of glue i can use to glue a thin sheet of copper to a cork?

Physics news on Phys.org

What kind of load (tensile, shear, etc) and what kind of conditions (air, water, saline, hot, cold..) does the joint need to withstand?

Contact cement works well under most conditions, provided the application doesn't require exposure to high temperatures or certain solvents. As with all adhesives, surface preparation is key; clean and dry is the general rule.

I would tend to agree with Negitron on this. Contact cement is incredible stuff, as long as it isn't in a really inhospitable environment. Silicone sealant works well, as do basic LaPage's or Elmer's carpentry glue (although I'm not sure about their metal-bonding properties). If there aren't physical clearance issues, I'd also consider pop rivets with strain-relief washers.

negitron said:
Contact cement works well under most conditions, provided the application doesn't require exposure to high temperatures or certain solvents. As with all adhesives, surface preparation is key; clean and dry is the general rule.

Will cement glue hinder the conductivity of copper at all?

jeff1evesque said:
Will cement glue hinder the conductivity of copper at all?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Glue will not conduct current from one piece of copper to another, however, it will have no effect on the conductivity of a single piece of copper.

1. How do I prepare the cork and copper sheet before gluing?

The cork and copper sheet should both be clean and dry before gluing. Use a mild soap and water to clean the cork and wipe it dry with a towel. The copper sheet should be cleaned with a degreaser or rubbing alcohol to remove any oils or residue.

2. What type of glue should I use to bond the copper to the cork?

A strong adhesive that can bond metal and cork, such as epoxy or super glue, is recommended for this project. Make sure to read the instructions and use the glue according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

3. Can I use any type of cork for this project?

It is best to use a solid cork sheet, rather than a cork board or cork tiles, for this project. The cork sheet should be thin enough to easily cut but thick enough to provide a sturdy base for the copper sheet.

4. How do I ensure that the copper sheet stays flat and doesn't bubble or wrinkle?

Before gluing the copper sheet to the cork, place it on a flat surface and use a heavy object, such as a book, to weigh it down for a few hours. This will help the copper sheet to lay flat and prevent any bubbles or wrinkles.

5. What are some potential uses for a cork and copper sheet?

A cork and copper sheet can be used for various crafts and DIY projects, such as making coasters, trivets, or decorative wall art. It can also be used as a base for creating a magnetic board or as a heat-resistant mat for hot pots and pans.