Thermodynamics Help Understanding Controlled Mass/Volume

In summary, controlled volume processes involve a rigid container in which the mass and volume of the fluid remain constant, resulting in an increase in pressure and temperature when heat is added. This is in contrast to free expansion, where the pressure remains constant but the volume and density change. In a controlled volume process, the pressure and temperature increase while the volume and density remain constant.
infinite_gbps
Thermodynamics Help ... Understanding Controlled Mass/Volume

I don't understand the these processes. Please let me know if I am correct or not. If not, please correct me. Thanks.

From what I know, when you have a controlled volume process the pressure and temperature increase when heat is added. This is in a rigid container so no mass leaves or enters. So it is controlled mass as well, right?

But I do not understand how this is referred to as controlled volume. When you heat air then the volume increases and the density decreases, resulting in the mass remaining the same, correct.

Also, if you know the energy of individual fluids and 'x' amount of energy is added to the above system, and then you know the resulting total energy after the addition. How do you paredo out how much energy goes to which fluid or the new temperature.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Control volume does exactly what it says on the tin. It's simply an arbitrary volume that does not change in which the mass of the fluid remains constant.

If you had a rigid container and heater the air, it can't increase in volume as its contained. The volume and mass remain the same so the pressure increases.

I don't get what you don't understand, could you rephrase it please?

xxChrisxx said:
Control volume does exactly what it says on the tin. It's simply an arbitrary volume that does not change in which the mass of the fluid remains constant.

If you had a rigid container and heater the air, it can't increase in volume as its contained. The volume and mass remain the same so the pressure increases.

I don't get what you don't understand, could you rephrase it please?

I thought that since you are in a rigid container the heating of air results in the molecules separating (becoming less dense) and moving faster. Therefore increasing in volume and causing the pressure to increase.

To tell you the truth I really don't understand. I just keep reading different things and need help understand what happens when you heat air in a fixed container.

The only consistent thing I have read is that both pressure and temperature increase but I do not know what happens to the volume and density. I thought there were both changing in a way that allows for the mass to remain constant, mass = volume * density.

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it.

If you have a box 10*10*10 cm. You have 1 L of volume. The box is rigid and filled with air at 1 bar.

We heat the contents of the box, the air increases in temperature. If there were no box constraining it, it would remain at 1 bar but take more volume according to Pv=nRT.

Now as the box is rigid no matter how much you increase the temperature the volume of air connot exceed 1L. As such the pressure increases according to PV=nRT.

In both cases the mass of the gas remains the same. In the control volume case, density and volume also remains the same. only pressure changes with temperature.

If the gas is free to expand, its pressure will remain constant, but its volume will increase making the density decrease.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and the properties of matter. It explains how energy is transferred between systems and how it affects the behavior of matter.

What is the difference between controlled mass and controlled volume in thermodynamics?

In controlled mass, the amount of matter in a system remains constant, while in controlled volume, the volume of the system remains constant. This means that in controlled mass, the mass of the system is the independent variable, while in controlled volume, the volume is the independent variable.

How does temperature affect controlled mass and controlled volume systems?

In controlled mass systems, temperature affects the pressure and volume of the system, while in controlled volume systems, temperature affects the pressure and mass of the system. This is because temperature is directly proportional to pressure and inversely proportional to volume, according to the ideal gas law.

What is enthalpy and how is it related to controlled mass and controlled volume systems?

Enthalpy is the total heat content of a system. In controlled mass systems, the enthalpy change is equal to the change in internal energy plus the work done on or by the system. In controlled volume systems, the enthalpy change is equal to the change in internal energy plus the work done on or by the surroundings.

What are some real-world applications of controlled mass and controlled volume systems in thermodynamics?

Controlled mass and controlled volume systems are used in many industrial processes, such as refrigeration, heating and cooling systems, and chemical reactions. They are also used in engines and turbines to convert thermal energy into mechanical work.