Show by induction that a given polynomial is an integer

In summary: PIn summary, the homework statement is that for all n>1, the function f(n) is equal to the sum of its predecessors.
Combinatus

Homework Statement

Show with mathematical induction that [tex]\frac{n^5}{5} + \frac{n^4}{2} + \frac{n^3}{3} - \frac{n}{30} \in {Z}[/tex] for all [tex]n\ge 1[/tex].

Homework Equations

Probably.

The Attempt at a Solution

Inductive statement: [tex]Q(n)[/tex]: [tex]\frac{n^5}{5} + \frac{n^4}{2} + \frac{n^3}{3} - \frac{n}{30} \in {Z}[/tex]

[tex]Q(1)[/tex]: [tex]\frac{1}{5} + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{30} = 1 \in {Z}[/tex]

Since [tex]Q(1)[/tex] is true, assume that [tex]Q(n)[/tex] is true. Show that [tex]Q(n) \Rightarrow Q(n+1)[/tex].

[tex]Q(n+1)[/tex]: [tex]\frac{(n+1)^5}{5} + \frac{(n+1)^4}{2} + \frac{(n+1)^3}{3} - \frac{(n+1)}{30} = \frac{(n+1)(6(n+1)^4 + 15(n+1)^3 + 10(n+1)^2 - 1)}{30} = ... =

\frac{6n^5 + 45n^4 + 130n^3 + 119n}{30} + 6n^2 + 1[/tex]

I'm not getting anywhere. I tried to assume that [tex]Q(n+1)[/tex] is true and to subsequently show that [tex]Q(n+1) \Rightarrow Q(n+2)[/tex]. That attempt yielded no results. I also tried to show this with modular arithmetic, but it made the induction seem redundant. Furthermore, I wasn't successful in using modular arithmetic to show the validity of [tex]Q(n+1)[/tex].

I'm just not sure how to attack this. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, hi. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How have you compared f(n) against f(n+1)? (where I'm using f to denote the function in n you're studying)

Hurkyl said:
How have you compared f(n) against f(n+1)? (where I'm using f to denote the function in n you're studying)

In my example above: I guess I have not. I have considered to rewrite [tex]{Z}[/tex] as 2k and 2k+1 ([tex]k \in {Z}[/tex]) (or as 2n and 2n+1?) and study the two separate cases of f(n)=2n and f(n)=2n+1 (e.g. two equations rather than f(n) being defined by the corresponding R.H.S.). However, I couldn't think of a mathematically valid reason to use n as a variable, and introducing k as a new variable seems like a bad idea.

Edit: Updated a few instances of P(n) and P(n+1) to Q(n) and Q(n+1), respectively, in the original post.

Last edited:
When all else fails, just expand and see what you get.

Look at f(n+1)-f(n) as Hurkyl suggested. Can you it's an integer?

Thanks; that worked out. Everything is so easy once you know what to do, surprisingly enough.
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I prove that a given polynomial is an integer using induction?

To prove that a polynomial is an integer using induction, you need to show that it is true for the base case (usually when n = 0) and then assume that it is true for n = k. Next, you need to show that it is also true for n = k + 1. This will prove that the polynomial is true for all integers n ≥ 0.

2. Can a polynomial be proven to be an integer without using induction?

Yes, it is possible to prove that a polynomial is an integer without using induction. This can be done by directly evaluating the polynomial at various integer values and showing that the result is always an integer.

3. What is the importance of using induction in proving a polynomial is an integer?

Induction is important because it allows us to prove that a statement is true for all integers, rather than just a specific set of values. This is especially useful when dealing with polynomials, which have an infinite number of possible input values.

4. Can induction be used to prove that a polynomial is not an integer?

No, induction can only be used to prove that a statement is true, not that it is false. To prove that a polynomial is not an integer, you would need to provide a counterexample or use a different proof technique.

5. Is it possible to use induction to prove that a polynomial is an integer for all real numbers?

No, induction can only be used to prove statements for integer values. To prove that a polynomial is an integer for all real numbers, you would need to use a different proof technique, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction.