Correct way to solve this differential equation

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to solve part (b) of this problem, you can use Fourier transforms to find the particular solution for the given differential equation. This involves taking the Fourier transform of the differential equation, solving for the Fourier transform of y(x), and then taking the inverse Fourier transform to get the actual solution. This method can be more efficient and elegant compared to using integration.
ehilge

Homework Statement

Suppose a beam of length L is supported at x=0 and x=L. if the load per unit length is given by:

w(x)=(w0x)/L

Then the differential equation for the deflection, y(x), of the beam is given by

a*y4(x)=(wx)/L

Where a and w0 are constants

a)find the Fourier series for the odd periodic extension
b) Find a particular solution for this differential equation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I know how to do part (a), what worries me about this problem is (b). It seems like to solve the equation, I should just be able to divide the a over and integrate 3 times to recover y(x). To me this makes perfect sense, however, the question is in a section mainly over Fourier transforms so it seems unlikely that the question wouldn't include fouriers. Also, these questions are normally constructed so you have to use part (a) to find (b). So, is there any reason why I can't solve (b) in the simple manner I described and if so, how could I go about using Fourier transforms to solve the problem?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It is true that you can use integration to find a particular solution for this differential equation. However, using Fourier transforms can also be a useful approach for solving this problem. Here's how you can use Fourier transforms to solve part (b):

1. Take the Fourier transform of the given differential equation. This will convert the differential equation into an algebraic equation in terms of the Fourier transform of y(x).

2. Solve the algebraic equation for the Fourier transform of y(x). This will give you the Fourier transform of the particular solution.

3. Take the inverse Fourier transform of the particular solution to get the actual solution for y(x).

Using Fourier transforms can be a more efficient and elegant way to solve this problem. I hope this helps. Good luck with your studies!

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical, biological, and social phenomena.

What is the correct way to solve a differential equation?

The correct way to solve a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the chosen method and check for any errors in the solution.

Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to mathematically describe and analyze real-world phenomena. They are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to make predictions and solve problems.

What are the initial conditions in a differential equation?

The initial conditions in a differential equation are the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point, usually denoted as t=0. These conditions are necessary to find a unique solution to the differential equation.

Can differential equations be solved analytically?

Not all differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning that a closed-form solution cannot be obtained. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find an approximate solution. However, some special types of differential equations, such as linear and separable equations, can be solved analytically.