Radius of gyration (rectangle)

In summary, the rectangular frame has identical 1.8 lb weights placed at the corners and is pivoted about an axis passing through the center of mass, O. The angular acceleration of the frame about O can be found using the equation Icm = 1/12(M(a2 + b2)). The radius of gyration of the frame about O can be calculated using the equation R = \sqrt{I/m} where I is the moment of inertia and m is the total mass of the system. The moment of inertia can be found by adding the individual moments of inertia of the four masses at the corners. The value obtained for the radius of gyration is 3.75ft.
madmax2006
I'm trying to figure out the radius of gyration of the frame about O.

Homework Statement

A rectangular frame is put together with massless rods having identical 1.8 lb weights placed at the corners as shown in the figure. The frame is pivoted about an axis passing through O, the center of mass of the system, perpendicular to the paper.
a) Find the angular acceleration of the frame about O
b) Find the radius of gyration of the frame about O

Homework Equations

Angular acceleration of the fram about O =
Icm = 1/12(M(a2 + b2))
Icm = 101.4kg ft2

I can't find an equation for b) and I can't find anything about "radius of gyration" in my book. Is there another name for it?

I found R = [tex]\sqrt{I/m}[/tex] On wiki & a few other sites..

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sqrt{101.4kg ft^2 / 7.2kg}[/tex]

=

3.75ft

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct expression for the radius of gyration. I know of no other name for it.

Your calculation of the moment of inertia looks suspicious, but to be 100% sure, we have to see a picture. I say "suspicious" because the rods are said to be massless so the factor of 1/12 should not be there. Just find the total moment of inertia of the four masses at the corners because that's what the problem appears to want.

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. The radius of gyration is a measure of how far the mass of an object is distributed from its axis of rotation. It is often represented by the symbol "k" and is calculated using the formula k = √(I/m), where I is the moment of inertia and m is the mass of the object.

In the case of a rectangular frame, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = 1/12*M*(a^2 + b^2), where M is the total mass of the frame and a and b are the dimensions of the frame.

Therefore, the radius of gyration of the frame about O can be calculated as follows:

k = √(I/m) = √(1/12*M*(a^2 + b^2)/M) = √(1/12*(a^2 + b^2)) = √(1/12*(1.8 lb)^2) = 0.75 ft

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

What is the radius of gyration for a rectangle?

The radius of gyration for a rectangle is a measure of its distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. It is the distance from the center of rotation to a point where the entire mass of the rectangle can be considered to be concentrated, resulting in the same moment of inertia as the actual distribution of mass.

How is the radius of gyration calculated for a rectangle?

The radius of gyration for a rectangle can be calculated using the formula K=√(I/m), where K is the radius of gyration, I is the moment of inertia, and m is the mass of the rectangle. It can also be calculated using the formula K=√(b²+h²)/12, where b is the base of the rectangle and h is the height.

What is the significance of the radius of gyration for a rectangle?

The radius of gyration is an important measure in understanding the rotational behavior of a rectangle. It helps in determining the amount of effort needed to rotate the rectangle around its axis and how it will respond to external forces. A larger radius of gyration indicates a greater resistance to rotation, while a smaller radius of gyration indicates a lower resistance.

How does the radius of gyration differ for different types of rectangles?

The radius of gyration varies for different types of rectangles based on their dimensions and mass distribution. For example, a thin and long rectangle will have a larger radius of gyration compared to a shorter and wider rectangle with the same mass. Similarly, a rectangle with a more uniform distribution of mass will have a smaller radius of gyration than a rectangle with most of its mass concentrated at one end.

What are some practical applications of the radius of gyration for rectangles?

The radius of gyration is used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports, to analyze and design structures and objects that undergo rotational motion. It is also used in calculating the stability and strength of buildings, bridges, and other structures. In sports, it is used to determine the performance and efficiency of equipment, such as golf clubs and tennis rackets.