Determine whethere the following series is convergent or divergent

In summary: We can use the limit comparison test with the series 1/(n+1) since it is a p-series with p=1, which we know to be divergent. Therefore, the original series also diverges. In summary, the series given is rewritten as a sum with a general term of n^n/(n+1)^n and various tests are attempted to determine its convergence or divergence. Ultimately, the limit comparison test is used with the divergent series 1/(n+1) to prove that the original series is also divergent.
Ratio Test =)

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following series is convergent or divergent:
[tex]
\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{2^2}{3^3}+\frac{3^3}{4^4}+...
[/tex]
I rewrite it as:
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n^n}{(n+1)^{n+1}}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I stopped.
I can not do anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do need to show us your attempt at the solution before we can help, so which convergence tests have you tried?

jgens said:
You do need to show us your attempt at the solution before we can help, so which convergence tests have you tried?

Its not geometric
not telescoping
nth term test failed
can not use integral test
Ratio & Root failed because its algebric function

There is only the comparison tests
I tried them a lot
but every time i failed :/

Write it as (n^n/(n+1)^n)*(1/(n+1)). The first factor approaches a finite limit. What is it?

Dick said:
Write it as (n^n/(n+1)^n)*(1/(n+1)). The first factor approaches a finite limit. What is it?

The first one goes to 1/e
the second goes to 0
1/e times 0 = 0

nth term test failed.

Alright, I would suggest using the comparison test for this particular series (although I'm sure that there's probably a simpler way to do it). If [itex]n \geq 1[/itex] can you find an upper bound for the following:

[tex]\frac{(n + 1)^{n+1}}{n^{n+1}}[/tex]

Edit: Fixed typo

Edit 2: Fixed another typo. Sorry, I just seem to be mistake prone today.

Last edited:
Ratio Test =) said:
The first one goes to 1/e
the second goes to 0
1/e times 0 = 0nth term test failed.

What 'nth term test' are you talking about? You are right the first factor approaches 1/e. So for large values of n a term in the series is approximately 1/(e*(n+1)). What kind of test does that suggest?

Dick said:
What 'nth term test' are you talking about? You are right the first factor approaches 1/e. So for large values of n a term in the series is approximately 1/(e*(n+1)). What kind of test does that suggest?

nth terms test = Test for divergence.

hmmm .. I got it .. Limit comparison test with the divergent series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]
The limit of the limit comparison test will give 1/e which is positive and finite number
hence, our series diverges.

Right?

Last edited:
Ratio Test =) said:
nth terms test = Test for divergence.

hmmm .. I got it .. Limit comparison test with the divergent series [tex]\frac{1}{n+1}[\tex]
The limit of the limit comparison test will give 1/e which is positive and finite number
hence, our series diverges.

Right?

Right.

1. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is a sequence of numbers that approaches a finite value as its terms are added together, while a divergent series is a sequence of numbers that does not have a finite sum and instead either approaches infinity or oscillates between values.

2. What is the general method for determining whether a series is convergent or divergent?

The general method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series is to apply one of several convergence tests, such as the comparison test, ratio test, or root test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known series with known convergence properties.

3. What is the comparison test and when is it used?

The comparison test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known series with known convergence properties. If the known series converges and the given series is always less than or equal to it, then the given series also converges. If the known series diverges and the given series is always greater than or equal to it, then the given series also diverges.

4. How does the ratio test work?

The ratio test is a convergence test that compares the ratio of consecutive terms in a series to a limit value. If the limit is less than 1, then the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, then the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test should be used.

5. How do I know which convergence test to use?

There are several convergence tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. The best test to use will depend on the specific series and its terms. It may require some trial and error or knowledge of the properties of certain types of series. It is important to carefully consider the given series and select the most appropriate test for that particular case.