Torque required to reduce the speed of a rotor?

In summary, Janik Bessinger advises Mark that he has all the necessary information to calculate the torque required to slow a rotor down from a high rotational speed to a low rotational speed. He suggests using Newton's second law and the properties of rotational motion to calculate the torque required for constant deceleration.
MarkH748
Hi,

I'm currently trying to find out how to calculate the torque required to slow a rotor down from a high rotational speed to a low rotational speed. I know the inertia of the rotor, the 2 rotational speeds and the time it needs to take to slow the rotor down.

Is there a method or formula I can use to determine the torque required for this operation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Mark

You are so close to the answer. By this I mean that you have all the physical properties required to calculate the Torque. The key is to remember that any rotational problem is analogues to linear problems and you can utilize Newton's second law to calculate the torque.

Firstly I assume you want to decelerate the rotor at a constant speed:

alpha (rotational acceleration) = (omega_2 - omega_1) / (time required for braking)

(remember the unit of omega is rad/s)

And then slot it into:

T = I * alpha

to obtain the torque required for constant deceleration of the rotor.

Regards

Janik Bessinger

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is typically measured in units of Newton meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to the speed of a rotor?

Torque is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of a rotor, meaning that the faster a rotor is spinning, the more torque is required to slow it down.

3. How do you calculate the torque required to reduce the speed of a rotor?

The torque required to reduce the speed of a rotor can be calculated using the equation T = I * α, where T is torque, I is the moment of inertia of the rotor, and α is the angular acceleration.

4. What factors affect the torque required to reduce the speed of a rotor?

The torque required to reduce the speed of a rotor is affected by the moment of inertia of the rotor, the angular acceleration, and the frictional forces acting on the rotor. It can also be affected by external factors such as air resistance and the weight of the rotor.

5. How can the torque required to reduce the speed of a rotor be reduced?

The torque required to reduce the speed of a rotor can be reduced by decreasing the moment of inertia of the rotor, reducing the angular acceleration, or minimizing frictional forces acting on the rotor. This can be achieved through design modifications or using lubricants to decrease friction.