Microscope field of view & depth of field/focus (confocal microscopy)

In summary, Aleks is struggling to run a FRAP experiment because the bleach spot is smaller than the depth of his channel. He is wondering if the problem is with his depth of focus or the field of view of the microscope.
ponjavic
Hi

I am trying to run a FRAP (fluorescence recovery after photo-bleaching) experiment but I am struggling a little bit. For those not exposed to the technique it involves, for example, bleaching a spot in a specimen that is fluorescing rendering that spot dark in contrast.

I have two separate beams going through my microscope which I suppose can be considered as a lens.

One beam is collimated and almost fills the lens. The other beam is diverging as to illuminate the surroundings to contrast with the dark central spot.

The reason why I'm even posing a question is that using a very thin specimen (<1 micron) I have no problems bleaching and identifying the spot. Once I have something larger (<100 microns) I am unable to do it.

This is my theory but I would like to back it up:

The bleach spot is obviously smaller than the depth of my channel. The illumination beam causes the dye to fluoresce above and below the bleach spot not allowing me to observe it. The solution to this would be using a confocal setup.

I've calculated the depth of focus to be approximately 10microns but I don't know if this is the depth of focus of what I can see (probably is) or if it's the depth of focus of what I am bleaching or if these are the same (should be I suppose but then I shouldn't be having problems).

Any input or if you want me to clarify something is welcome.

Aleks

Edit:
I also don't understand why a collimated laser beam when focused on a surface only covers about 5% of the field of view (as shown in the diagram the bleach spot is much smaller than the field of view).

Edit2:
Ok I just realized that focal point != field of view. The field of view will depend on where the binoculars are in relation to the objective. As my field of view is much larger than my focal point, so should my depth of view be much larger than the depth of focus (excuse the terminology) and thus the bleach spot will not be seen.

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:
Nikon's 'microscopyU' page is excellent- here's a few pages to get you started:

http://www.microscopyu.com/articles/formulas/formulasfielddepth.html

http://www.microscopyu.com/references/frap.html
Thanks Andy, I've read all of it though.

I have yet to read about a comparison between depth of view and bleach depth. I find it very strange to read about FRAP without and with a confocal setup. The only way I could see the non confocal approach working would be with a very thin specimen.

I am just trying to visualize the hourglass the microscope allows me to see in comparison to the hourglass produced by my bleaching beam.

What is the field of view in microscopy?

The field of view in microscopy refers to the area of the specimen that can be viewed through the microscope at one time. It is typically measured in micrometers (µm) and is influenced by factors such as the objective lens magnification and the size of the microscope's field diaphragm.

What is the depth of field in microscopy?

The depth of field in microscopy refers to the thickness or depth of the specimen that appears in focus at one time. It is also measured in micrometers (µm) and is affected by factors such as the numerical aperture of the objective lens and the thickness of the specimen.

How does confocal microscopy improve depth of field?

Confocal microscopy uses a specialized technique that improves the depth of field by eliminating out-of-focus light and only allowing light from a very thin plane of the specimen to enter the detector. This results in a sharper and more focused image with a greater depth of field compared to traditional microscopy techniques.

What is the relationship between field of view and depth of field in microscopy?

The field of view and depth of field in microscopy are inversely related. This means that as the field of view increases, the depth of field decreases and vice versa. This is because a larger field of view requires a larger aperture, which reduces the depth of field by allowing more out-of-focus light to enter the detector.

What factors can affect the field of view and depth of field in microscopy?

The field of view and depth of field in microscopy can be affected by several factors, including the objective lens magnification, numerical aperture, field diaphragm size, specimen thickness, and the use of specialized techniques such as confocal microscopy. Proper adjustment of these factors is crucial in obtaining clear and accurate images through the microscope.