Optimizing y3=6xy-x3-1: Max and Min Values | Calculating dy/dx

• Thread starter thereddevils
  • Start date
In summary, the homework equation has two turning points where dy/dx=0. The first turning point is when y=1/2 x2 and the second turning point is when y=1.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

y3=6xy-x3-1 , find dy/dx . Prove that the maximm value of y occurs when
x3=8+2sqrt(114) and the minimum value when x3=8-2sqrt(114)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found dy/dx to be (2y-x2)/(y2-2x)

Then from here , dy/dx=0 for turning points and it happens when y=1/2 x2

Substitute this back to the original equation and find x from there using the quadratic formula

[tex]x^3=\frac{16\pm\sqrt{16^2-4(1)(8)}}{2}[/tex] which simplifies to

[tex]x^3=8\pm \sqrt{56}[/tex]

First off , the x coordinate of my turning points is wrong but where is that mistake ? Also , How do i test whether this is a max or min ?

Second order differentiation doesn't help ..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi thereddevils! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
thereddevils said:
Substitute this back to the original equation and find x from there using the quadratic formula

[tex]x^3=\frac{16\pm\sqrt{16^2-4(1)(8)}}{2}[/tex] which simplifies to

[tex]x^3=8\pm \sqrt{56}[/tex]

First off , the x coordinate of my turning points is wrong but where is that mistake ?

Your solution looks correct to me.

The one in the book has √456 instead of √56 … perhaps someone pressed the wrong button?
Also , How do i test whether this is a max or min ?

Second order differentiation doesn't help ..

It should do … just differentiate your equation for dy/dx wrt x, and remember you can put dy/dx = 0. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi thereddevils! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)

Your solution looks correct to me.

The one in the book has √456 instead of √56 … perhaps someone pressed the wrong button?

It should do … just differentiate your equation for dy/dx wrt x, and remember you can put dy/dx = 0. :wink:

thanks Tiny ! I am still a little confused with the max and mins .

I am a bit reluctant to do the second order differentiation as there are 'y's in the dy/dx equation .

When i put dy/dx=0 , y= 1/2 x^2 can i substitute this into the dy/dx equation to get rid of the y ?

thereddevils said:
When i put dy/dx=0 , y= 1/2 x^2 can i substitute this into the dy/dx equation to get rid of the y ?

Yes, if you already have dy/dx = f(x,y), then d/dx it to get

d2y/dx2 = ∂/∂x(f(x,y)) + ∂/∂y(f(x,y))dy/dx

the second term will be zero, and you put the x = 3√(8 ± etc) and y = 1/2 x2 into the first term. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, if you already have dy/dx = f(x,y), then d/dx it to get

d2y/dx2 = ∂/∂x(f(x,y)) + ∂/∂y(f(x,y))dy/dx

the second term will be zero, and you put the x = 3√(8 ± etc) and y = 1/2 x2 into the first term. :smile:

erm , that looks to be partial differentiation and i am not so familiar with that but i would like to learn that :biggrin:

Can i differentiate implicitly instead of partial diff ?

I tried ,

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{(y^2-2x)(2dy/dx-2x)-(2y-x^2)(2y dy/dx-2)}{(y^2-2x)^2}[/tex]

when dy/dx=0 , y= 1/2 x^2

d2y/dx2=-8/(x3-8)

x= 2.49(max) or 0.80(min)

Last edited:
Yes, that's fine (though I haven't checked the last two lines). :smile:

What are maximums and minimums?

Maximums and minimums are the highest and lowest values of a given function or data set. They represent the extreme points or boundaries of a set of values.

How are maximums and minimums calculated?

Maximums and minimums can be calculated by taking the derivative of a function and finding the points where the derivative is equal to zero. These points are called critical points and are potential maximums or minimums. To determine which one it is, the second derivative can be used.

What is the significance of maximums and minimums in science?

Maximums and minimums are important in science because they help us understand the behavior of a system or function. They can tell us the maximum or minimum amount of a certain substance that can exist in a given system, or the optimal conditions for a process to occur.

Can maximums and minimums change over time?

Yes, maximums and minimums can change over time. This is especially true for dynamic systems, where conditions and variables are constantly changing. In these cases, the maximum and minimum values may shift or fluctuate depending on the current state of the system.

How are maximums and minimums useful in real-life applications?

Maximums and minimums are useful in many real-life applications, such as optimization problems in engineering, finance, and economics. They can also be used in data analysis to identify trends and patterns, and in predicting future outcomes. Additionally, understanding maximums and minimums can help us make informed decisions and optimize processes in various industries.