How to calculate number of moles and gas formation volume factor?

In summary: Now you need to find the value of n- the number of moles in the gas mixture. First, you need to find the mass of the gas mixture. This is done by multiplying the mass of each gas by its corresponding percentage. You get the following: Methane: 83.4%Ethane: 9.8%Propane: 4.5%Isobutane: 1.4%n-Butane: 0%
glocki35

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the gas formation volume factor for a reservior, however I am stuck when trying to find the value n - number of moles for a gas to plug into the equation to find Bg, this is what I know;

Bg (gas FVF)= volume of gas at reservoir conditions / volume of gas at standard conditions, I know I have to apply the real gas law here i.e PV=znrt = V=znrt/p, I have the following knowns;

z=0.81
n=??
R=10.73 psia ft3 / lb mol Deg R
T=580 deg R
P=2195 psia

Zsc=0.99
n=??
R= as above
Tsc= 520 deg R
Psc = 14.7 psia

Volume %
methane 83.4
Ethane 9.8
Propane 4.5
isobutane 1.4
n-butane

I am completely stuck when trying to find n, as I do not know the gas volume (only in %)or the gas weight, I know n=total gas weight / molecular weight, I have tried to work this out by calculating the gas density but I can not progress further than this, I am completely stuck!

Is there any guidance you can offer me on this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate Number of moles for a gas mixture, is like finding the proportional behaviour of each gas constituent in the mixture. You have a %proportion of each constituent in the mixture, you will use this to get a proportional molecular weight for the mixture
i.e. ƩYi*Mwi=Mw Yi is the proportional percentages for each member gas in the mixture, while, Mwi is there corresponding Molecular weights which you know.
From the real gas eqn:
V=nZRT/P
also recall that density, ρ=m/V
therefore, ρ=mP/nZRT
note that m/n = Mw and in this case it will be Mw for the mixture which you have gotten from ƩYi*Mwi=Mw.
therefore, ρ=Mw*P/ZRT
With the above calculation, you can use it to get the density,ρ, at reservoir condition and the density,ρ, at standard conditions.
formation value factor Bg = ρr/ρsc.
Best of luck

Assume you have 1 mole of gas. You have the value of z under reservoir conditions, so you can calculate the volume under reservoir conditions. You know the value of z under standard conditions (520?, 14.7 psi), so you can calculate the volume under standard conditions.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the number of moles in a gas sample?

To calculate the number of moles in a gas sample, you will need to know the volume of the gas, the pressure, and the temperature. Then, you can use the Ideal Gas Law equation, PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. Rearrange the equation to solve for n, and you will have the number of moles in the gas sample.

2. What is the gas formation volume factor and why is it important?

The gas formation volume factor (FVF) is a measure of the change in volume of a gas when it is brought from its reservoir conditions to surface conditions. It is important because it allows us to accurately estimate the volume and amount of gas that can be extracted from a reservoir. It takes into account factors such as pressure, temperature, and composition of the gas.

3. How do I calculate the gas formation volume factor?

The gas formation volume factor can be calculated using the following equation: FVF = (Z x T x P) / (Pb x T) where Z is the gas compressibility factor, T is the temperature, P is the pressure, and Pb is the bubble point pressure. The values for Z and Pb can be found in gas property tables or can be estimated based on the composition of the gas.

4. What units are used for the gas formation volume factor?

The gas formation volume factor is typically expressed in units of reservoir barrels per standard cubic feet (RB/SCF).

5. Can the gas formation volume factor change over time?

Yes, the gas formation volume factor can change over time due to changes in reservoir conditions such as pressure and temperature. It can also be affected by production processes and changes in the composition of the gas. It is important to regularly monitor and update the gas formation volume factor to ensure accurate calculations and predictions of gas reserves.