Compact Notation of RxN Mechanism

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion and frustration with notation in a combustion text, specifically regarding the "coefficient matrices" and their proper use in the system of equations. The conversation also mentions the reverse convention of the ij indices, which is causing further confusion.
Saladsamurai
Hello all!

I am reading through a combustion text and I am a little flustered by this notation:

Doc-8_27_109_17PM-page-1.jpg

Am I correct in saying that the "coefficient matrices" {[itex]{\nu'_{ji}}[/itex]} and {[itex]{\nu''_{ji}}[/itex]} are not really "proper" matrices in the sense that there is not a vector that can multiply them that will result in the system of equations given by 4.29? Or is there? And I am just too tired to figure this out?

Also, the fact that the ij indices are reversed from normal convention (i.e., i = row index and j=column index) is really driving me batty!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmmm ... maybe I am Wrong here and I AM just tired:

I guess if we multiply [itex]\nu'_{ji}[/itex] by the column vector
[tex]
\left( \begin{array}{c}
X_1\\X_2\\X_3\\X_4\\X_5\\X_6\\X_8
\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

The index thing is still bothering me. Usually when we see Amn we have a matrix in which there are 'm' rows and 'n' columns ...

1. What is the purpose of using compact notation in RxN mechanisms?

The purpose of compact notation in RxN mechanisms is to simplify and condense the representation of complex chemical reactions. It allows for a clearer understanding of the reaction steps and the overall mechanism.

2. How is compact notation different from traditional notation in RxN mechanisms?

Compact notation uses a more condensed and concise format compared to traditional notation, which can often include multiple arrows and intermediates. Compact notation also uses specific symbols and abbreviations to represent different types of reactions and reaction steps.

3. What are some common symbols used in compact notation for RxN mechanisms?

Some common symbols used in compact notation for RxN mechanisms include "=>" for a single electron transfer, "<=>" for a double electron transfer, and "||" for a radical intermediate. Other symbols may vary depending on the specific reaction and mechanism being represented.

4. How do I interpret compact notation in RxN mechanisms?

To interpret compact notation in RxN mechanisms, it is important to understand the specific symbols and abbreviations being used. It is also helpful to refer to a key or legend that explains the meaning of each symbol. Additionally, understanding the general principles and mechanisms of organic chemistry can aid in interpreting compact notation.

5. Can I use compact notation for any type of chemical reaction?

Compact notation is commonly used for organic chemical reactions, but it can also be applied to other types of reactions such as inorganic or biochemical reactions. However, certain reactions may be more difficult to represent using compact notation, and traditional notation may be more appropriate in those cases.