Positive derivative and strictly increasing

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a function f(t) and its derivative f'(t). It is true that if f'(t) > 0 on an interval, then f is strictly increasing on that interval. This can be proven using the mean value theorem. The conversation also touches on the possibility of f'(a) > 0 without there being an interval where f is strictly increasing. A counterexample is suggested, but no specific function is mentioned.
AxiomOfChoice
Isn't it true that if a function [itex]f(t)[/itex] satisfies [itex]f'(t) > 0[/itex] on some interval, then [itex]f[/itex] is STRICTLY increasing on that interval; i.e., that [itex]s < t[/itex] implies that [itex]f(s) < f(t)[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can prove this using the mean value theorem, by assuming there are points s and t with [tex]s<t[/tex] and [tex]f(s)\geq f(t)[/tex] and developing a contradiction

Yes.
In fact:
if x2>x1 implies that
f(x2)>f(x1)the derivative is:
[f(x2)-f(x1)]/(x2-x1)
(as x2 approach x1)

The numerator is positive and also the denominator (by hypothesis ) implies that:
f'(x)>0

Thanks, guys. I was pretty sure this was a MVT exercise, but I was so tired last night I couldn't force myself to get out of bed and look for paper and pencil to run through it :) I'm amazed I was actually able to phrase the question correctly.

Related to the topic at hand, if, on the other hand, f'(a) > 0, is there necessarily an interval of positive length that is centered at c, on which f is strictly increasing? I've though about this for a while now, and it seems to me the answer is no, but I just can't come up with a counterexample. I can imagine an ever oscillating function that never reaches f(a) when x > a, but since it constantly oscillates, you also can't pinpoint the endpoint of an interval, on which f would be strictly increasing.

Any thoughts on this, is this a good counterexample? And does anyone perhaps have a specific function in mind, one that isn't just vaguely described such as above in my previous paragraph?

Last edited:

1. What is a positive derivative?

A positive derivative refers to the rate of change of a function that is greater than zero. In other words, the slope of the function at any given point is increasing.

2. How is a positive derivative represented mathematically?

A positive derivative is represented by a function's first derivative being greater than zero. This can be denoted as f'(x) > 0, where f(x) is the original function.

3. What does it mean for a function to be strictly increasing?

A function is strictly increasing if its output values (y) increase as its input values (x) increase. This means that the function is always moving upwards and never decreases in value.

4. Can a function have a positive derivative but not be strictly increasing?

Yes, a function can have a positive derivative but not be strictly increasing. This can occur when the function has flat areas or plateaus, where the slope is zero but still positive.

5. How do positive derivatives and strictly increasing functions relate to each other?

Positive derivatives and strictly increasing functions are closely related, as a strictly increasing function will always have a positive derivative. However, a function with a positive derivative may not necessarily be strictly increasing, as mentioned in question 4.