Why should chemists care about entropy?

In summary, because of the number of possible outcomes, entropy is a good approximation for how a system will behave.
samblohm
Why is it important? I know it is a measure of the disorder of the system and the amount of possible outcomes. If it always increases, why should any chemist care about it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why does ammonium chloride dissolve in water?
Why is rubber elastic?

I assume because of its entropy. Could you explain?

I could explain, but I don't see why I should. Every general/introductory chemistry textbook covers the basics of entropy in chemistry.
So if you're asking this question, you haven't made an effort to find out on your own. In which case I'm disinclined to help.

Please read up on the subject, then come back and ask if you don't understand something. But don't ask for a private lesson.

Well IMO, entropy is just a abstraction of what's actually going on. I mean entropy is a macro property based on a substances micro-properties. Now if you have a gas in a container and you only have 2 gas molecules then you wouldn't need entropy. You can do all the calculations you want just using by analyzing the interaction of the 2 molecules (Of course in an ideal container).

But what about when you have 1million? Anyone can easily see that doing such calculations is almost (if not actually) impossible (Since, technically, using classical physics we could calculate every single position the molecules would assume. But that would require a vast computational power beyond our ability). So why bother when you can use entropy, to approximate it? (I couldn't find a better word than approximate)

Now since I believe that what alxm said is true I will refrain from telling you too much until you have a better idea of what entropy actually is.

(Hint: what happens when you flip a coin? you could calculate the side that will come up, but instead you say that there's a 50-50 probability of heads or tails. Think a bit now...)

Disclaimer: Do not assume I am right, do your on research...

1. Why is entropy important in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the direction of spontaneous processes, as well as the efficiency of energy conversion.

2. How does entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that in any spontaneous process, the overall disorder of the system increases. Entropy is therefore important in understanding and applying this fundamental law of thermodynamics.

3. What is the connection between entropy and information theory?

In information theory, entropy is a measure of the uncertainty or randomness of a system. It is important in this field because it helps us quantify the amount of information contained in a message or signal, and can be used to optimize communication and data storage systems.

4. How does entropy impact the universe and its evolution?

Entropy plays a crucial role in the evolution of the universe. According to the laws of thermodynamics, the universe is constantly moving towards a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done. This has important implications for the future of the universe and the potential for life to exist.

5. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

In isolated systems, entropy cannot be reversed or decreased. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics. However, in open systems where energy and matter can be exchanged with the surroundings, local decreases in entropy are possible. This is often seen in living organisms, where they are able to maintain a high level of order and decrease their own entropy by using energy from their environment.